Which States require evidence to be attached to complaint and are "Consumer" Friendly

I was just wondering which states require some kind of proof (ie Contract, assignment etc..) to be attached to the Complaint/Summons. And which states in general are "consumer" friendly.

Utah is business friendly and I'm having a tough time. I heard Texas was friendly but now is becoming more "business' friendly also. I spoke with a Lawyer recently who mentioned Delaware--- as requiring proof before suing but was just wondering if there are other places as well.

Thanks!!!!

NC requires evidence to be attached. In my case, the scum bags attached a heresay affadavit, so the evidence rule clearly does not ask for enough.

I am beginning to think that all of these Junk debt buyers have these phony affadivts. Clearly hearsay and am not sure why the courts allow this as assignment (but some do even after striking them as hearsay). Surly there is a State that makes it "more" difficult for them to sue. I just want to research the laws.

It's not so much "business" vs "consumer" friendly... JDBs who sue rely solely on getting default judgements - in other words, they expect the defendant to not show up and challenge the suit.

Also, JDBs buy debt in blocks of hundreds or thousands of accounts. Those without documentation are the cheapest to buy and then have staff members generate affidavits as "evidence."

I am beginning to think that all of these Junk debt buyers have these phony affadivts. Clearly hearsay and am not sure why the courts allow this as assignment (but some do even after striking them as hearsay). Surly there is a State that makes it "more" difficult for them to sue. I just want to research the laws.

JDBs? OCs do it too!

"Mr So-and-so has defaulted on his debt and I know this because I reviewed business records..."

That's hearsay unless the business records are provided with the affidavit.

I too think it is not a proper function of the courts to allow these JDB's to file lawsuits when they are in fact just looking for a default lawsuit and lack the evidence to prove their claims. I am just appalled by the way the courts just let this stuff go and allow these scumbags to run amok.

It is revolting how the court workers are very apathetic toward it all, not even interested in bringing it to the attention of their superiors or government agencies for review. Then again I am not sure how much good that would do as I called the attorney general's office in my state and they were just as unmoved by the abuse of the court system that I described.

The lawsuit that was filed against me that was just dismissed Friday (yeeeaaaahhhh) had absolutly nothing except a page of claims and demands. They supplied no affidavit (worthless anyway I know) and didn't even list an account number. There should be more of a burden of evidence that they should have to provide to require a taxpaying free citizen of the state to have to go to the bother and trouble of anwsering the lawsuit, who is often filed by an out of state entity (JDB).

At very least the following should be considered. If a JDB is found to have one, either appeared in court and been unable to provide sufficient proof or two,like in my case, filed a suit and after the anwser, and probably a wait of 6 months to a year they just dismiss the suit after not providing a shread of evidence, again like in my case, they should be prohibited by the court from being able to file anymore suits. After a threshold of 5 or 6 of their suits have resulted in this outcome, and they otherwise have not prevailed except by default, then the state and courts should take action.

This is just a good idea though that won't go anywhere, along with all the other ideas consumer advocates could muster. From what I have researched, these JDB's are backed by scumbag investors on Wall Street. If a movement was started to reform this broken system of these companies enriching themselves through defaults on alleged debts they cannot prove, then the investors would counter by funneling millions into the coffers of the political prostitutes who make the laws.

The entire system has to be rebuilt in an honorable fashion by honorable people, going after the symptoms of the problems caused by the criminals is a real uphill task.

What we all can do is encourage our fellow citizens to fight the lawsuits.

It's not in the court's best interest to change things...remember that JDBs file hundreds, if not thousands of lawsuits per year. That is a lot of filing fees that they bring in..

The best thing you can do is to fight any and all collection suits...by fighting, you drive up the cost of doing business.

Yeah they bring in filing fees, while your argument may have some merit it also affirms the belief of cynics like me who claim that the entire judicial system is just one big money grab with justice being secondary to the people who run/profit from it.

Courts may recieve some money from filing fees but it is also funded by citizens through taxes and it is f**ked up that those citizens are then targeted by the scumbag JDB's.

The entire establishment operates under a pretense that the justice system is about justice and not about money, of course it is all a fantasy.

My belief again is not that you are wrong in your statement, but that citizens need to reevaluate what they belief based on the facts and not the propaganda. What kind of sense does it make to send your kids off to die to preserve such a corrupt and wretched system.

As far as fighting the lawsuits, I don't just resolve that people like me and you are entitled to not fall prey to a judgement just because we put the effort into fighting them while others get their wages garnished/etc after they fail to anwser or improperly respond. I assume that many are overwhelmed by it all. They may not know that sites online like this are even available.

They may not have the time or tools available to them either. I am lucky enough to have a computer available at work in which I can utilize to gather information and the time to do it. Most people working 9-5 jobs might not have that luxury and may not have the time to get to a library. I also have no doubt the experiance of contacting a lawyer is discouraging from my experiance, I did that initially before resolving to fight it on my own and they don't even want to give you practicially any info without being paid, I mean just basic questions. There are so few consumer lawyers who would know the ins and outs of the JDB's too, so one is left calling lawyers who specialize in bankruptcy and all they want to do is tell you that all hope is lost and you should just file bankruptcy, again I know from experiance this to be true.

Couple that with the treatment a person just sued gets from the court's clerk office, absolutly no information. I mean if they are going to have a form available that a plaintiff can use to file the lawsuit, there should be something to assist a defendant. Instead the court clerks play dumb with any questions, again basic ones that I did eventually get anwsered from a supervisor, basic filing questions, not legal advise.

And I also understand that some States, thank goodness not mine, also require a defendant to actually pay to anwser the suit. I am sure the number of defaults are even higher than others as some might not even have the money even if they wanted to answer it.

There was no way that I wasn't going to put the effort into countering the scumbags that sued me. And for those who are simply too lazy to get off their duff to fight the suit I have no sympathy. But there are tens of thousands of people, taxpayers, hard working people, who because of ignorance of their rights, being intimidated by the whole experiance, or who don't have the time necessary (which it does take a good amount of time to research properly and apply the information to the specifics of your case) to fight the JDB's that get judgements filed against them and are then indebted and require to pay people in which they never did business with and who had little more than an account number and an amount of money allegedly owed.

It may be the "way it is", these courts just taking the filing fees and shutting their eyes and covering their ears to what they are doing, but it still isn't right and wouldn't be tolerated in a truly free and just nation.

Wow that turned into a rant, don't think I hold too much, actually any, angst toward ya there 1st Step, I just get fired up when the issue of toleration of outrages come to the fore.

It's a Mafia of sorts--especially their tactics of vengance. Case in point:

I'm dealing with an Attorney representing Portfolio Recovery. We've had a pre-trial conference in which the attorney tried to bully me into a settlement. I stood strong and said I'd retain a lawyer for a trial--which I did. I am waiting to see what happens but in the meantime Portfolio's attorney got upset and tried to find some "dirt" on me. On Friday Sept 2 I got served a Writ of Execution for a past judgement that this same attorney's office got a default judgement on me--- for $6400.00. The deputy/constable took pictures of all of my belongings and car and gave me a paper stating the property is going to be seized on Oct 19 for a Constable Sale. So, basically, the Attorney got mad at me because I tried to defend myself this time and is demanding payment on the other judgement. The Writ of Execution was signed by the court May 5, 2011 and it was just served Friday---one week after my pre-trial conference with him!!! Now ,one could argue that this was going to happen eventually but I can't help but feel that Portfolio's Attorney was trying to seek vengance because now he is going to have to go to trial on this account and he isn't going to get a default judgement again. That's why I was wondering if there are states which make it more difficult for them to bring suit against people. Let's face it---if everyone is Forced into Bankruptcy because of the stress and pressure that Americans are under then this economy isn't going to recover--ever. No one is going to spend out of fear of going into debt--and being sued by collectors. No amount of material things are worth it!!!!

I think you sue for retaliation and IIED. Also look into exemptions to seizure...and file them with the court ASAP.

But yes - I think at this point, you might, might have an FDCPA violation and possibly an attorney ethics violation. The attorney can't do something that could compromise one client to benefit another.

Case in point - I went after a "law firm" for collection tactics. They lost. When they didn't pay the judgment, I filed a complaint with the state bar- attorneys are supposed to make good on all their obligations or risk losing their law license. Needless to say, I was paid pretty fast, with an apology from the senior named partner.

I think you sue for retaliation and IIED. Also look into exemptions to seizure...and file them with the court ASAP.

But yes - I think at this point, you might, might have an FDCPA violation and possibly an attorney ethics violation. The attorney can't do something that could compromise one client to benefit another.

Case in point - I went after a "law firm" for collection tactics. They lost. When they didn't pay the judgment, I filed a complaint with the state bar- attorneys are supposed to make good on all their obligations or risk losing their law license. Needless to say, I was paid pretty fast, with an apology from the senior named partner.

This sounds interesting! I called my Lawyer right away on Sept 2 to tell him about the Constable and siting that isn't this a coincidence that the Attorney from the judgement and the case I am fighting righ now are the same person. But he said no---that even if the Writ of Execution was signed in May, that they take their time in serving it. I think that sounds like he just doesn't want to tackle it. Right??? What is an IIED?

How did they get the first judgement on you, was it something that happened before you learned about JDB's and this site? If so that is a shame but nothing to beat yourself up over, some of us are luckier than others relative to when we see the light relative to the JDB's and their BS lawsuits.

1st Step thought outside the box and got a payoff on a judgement, shrewed move there, I would take that lead if you get a judgement in your favor.

As far as selling your belongings, that sounds pretty unusual to a point. Most states have threshholds have have to be met before that can happen. I know in my state,KY, they can't take your car unless it is valued at over $2,500 and I am not even sure if they can take it regardless of the value if you need it for work,etc. I know I reviewed a website that basically listed what they could take and what they couldn't, you need to educate yourself and research what your rights are regarding all of that.

Your comments on bankruptcy and consumer spending are totally valid. It is common sense thinking in an era of idiocracy. When you get down to the bare bones of it, the loaning of money at interest, usury, no matter what amount of interest, will lead to the collapse of any economy, history has shown this on a smaller scale than today.

The money loan produces nothing of value to the society when you get down to it. The farmer, the construction worker, the chemist, the teacher, the automaker,etc, they all work and produce something of value to the society in the end. The bankers and money lenders produce nothing and only prey on wealth. But yet who own the tallest buildings in every major cities, banks do. Until people realize that the loaning of money at interest is at the root, a swindle, this country will never know true prosperity again. There are other variables to take into account as well, like a media and establishment that does not promote the idea of postponing gratification (i.e. not buying stuff unless and until you can pay for it) and not promoting the idea that alot of shiny junk should even be a needed or desirable buy in the first place.

How did they get the first judgement on you, was it something that happened before you learned about JDB's and this site? If so that is a shame but nothing to beat yourself up over, some of us are luckier than others relative to when we see the light relative to the JDB's and their BS lawsuits.

1st Step thought outside the box and got a payoff on a judgement, shrewed move there, I would take that lead if you get a judgement in your favor.

As far as selling your belongings, that sounds pretty unusual to a point. Most states have threshholds have have to be met before that can happen. I know in my state,KY, they can't take your car unless it is valued at over $2,500 and I am not even sure if they can take it regardless of the value if you need it for work,etc. I know I reviewed a website that basically listed what they could take and what they couldn't, you need to educate yourself and research what your rights are regarding all of that.

Your comments on bankruptcy and consumer spending are totally valid. It is common sense thinking in an era of idiocracy. When you get down to the bare bones of it, the loaning of money at interest, usury, no matter what amount of interest, will lead to the collapse of any economy, history has shown this on a smaller scale than today.

The money loan produces nothing of value to the society when you get down to it. The farmer, the construction worker, the chemist, the teacher, the automaker,etc, they all work and produce something of value to the society in the end. The bankers and money lenders produce nothing and only prey on wealth. But yet who own the tallest buildings in every major cities, banks do. Until people realize that the loaning of money at interest is at the root, a swindle, this country will never know true prosperity again. There are other variables to take into account as well, like a media and establishment that does not promote the idea of postponing gratification (i.e. not buying stuff unless and until you can pay for it) and not promoting the idea that alot of shiny junk should even be a needed or desirable buy in the first place.

The Judgement was entered last year before I knew you could defend yourself against their tactics. Unfortunately in 2008 my husband and I went through huge economic distress (ie job losses ) and we still have not recovered. I haven't found work and he is working through a temp agency that is going to "Lay off" in Noverember possibly. So, add the stress of now them trying to collect all at once and coming in your house to take pictures of your belongings. My husband is having a mental breakdown aand is fearful of them taking our home. So sad!

Here is a link to some information on what is excempt from being able to be taken from you.

The 2,500 car excemption is also valid for Utah. This should help you determine what they cannot take and you should be able to use these guidelines to ensure they don't take more than what they legally can,

Utah Judgment Enforcement Utah judgment collection agency

Here is a link to some information on what is excempt from being able to be taken from you.

The 2,500 car excemption is also valid for Utah. This should help you determine what they cannot take and you should be able to use these guidelines to ensure they don't take more than what they legally can,

Utah Judgment Enforcement Utah judgment collection agency

Thanks for the link!! My only problem is that the Deputy took pictures of things but only verbally told us what he wanted to take---so how do I fill out the exemption form. I think I should have been left an inventory of what is to be taken. Right?? I used to think, Back in the Day, that only the IRS could freeze you accounts or possessions. Kind of like the U.S Marshalls on a raid!! But no crime, in this case has been committed--and to think all of this power for unsecured loans. Pray for Democracy! Or maybe this is a Dictatorship in disguise.LOL

I too think it is not a proper function of the courts to allow these JDB's to file lawsuits when they are in fact just looking for a default lawsuit and lack the evidence to prove their claims. I am just appalled by the way the courts just let this stuff go and allow these scumbags to run amok.

It is revolting how the court workers are very apathetic toward it all, not even interested in bringing it to the attention of their superiors or government agencies for review. Then again I am not sure how much good that would do as I called the attorney general's office in my state and they were just as unmoved by the abuse of the court system that I described.

The lawsuit that was filed against me that was just dismissed Friday (yeeeaaaahhhh) had absolutly nothing except a page of claims and demands. They supplied no affidavit (worthless anyway I know) and didn't even list an account number. There should be more of a burden of evidence that they should have to provide to require a taxpaying free citizen of the state to have to go to the bother and trouble of anwsering the lawsuit, who is often filed by an out of state entity (JDB).

At very least the following should be considered. If a JDB is found to have one, either appeared in court and been unable to provide sufficient proof or two,like in my case, filed a suit and after the anwser, and probably a wait of 6 months to a year they just dismiss the suit after not providing a shread of evidence, again like in my case, they should be prohibited by the court from being able to file anymore suits. After a threshold of 5 or 6 of their suits have resulted in this outcome, and they otherwise have not prevailed except by default, then the state and courts should take action.

This is just a good idea though that won't go anywhere, along with all the other ideas consumer advocates could muster. From what I have researched, these JDB's are backed by scumbag investors on Wall Street. If a movement was started to reform this broken system of these companies enriching themselves through defaults on alleged debts they cannot prove, then the investors would counter by funneling millions into the coffers of the political prostitutes who make the laws.

The entire system has to be rebuilt in an honorable fashion by honorable people, going after the symptoms of the problems caused by the criminals is a real uphill task.

What we all can do is encourage our fellow citizens to fight the lawsuits.

On your comment about "...revolting how the court workers are very apathetic toward it all," I want to caution newbies about listening to what all court workers tell you.

In my very first case, I admit I was scared. The attorney sent a very last minute MSJ 8 days before trial. That is totally against court rules. I called the court to see if I could get the trial postponed so I could examine and respond to the MSJ. First she said she didn't even have a MSJ in the folder. After putting me on hold, she found it. But then I was told I could not postpone trial because my objection to the MSJ would be heard at trial. I also asked her if my motion on a different issue was in the folder to be heard. She said she didn't have that either. She asked what it was. I told her the motion was for a dismissal because the plaintiff had failed to produce a document required by the RCP.

Here's where it got crazy.

She told me that my case would not be dismissed because of that. She said my motion was not applicable and useless and wouldn't help at all. She said if that were true (what I was asking for), everybody would do that and the defendants would always win. I told her it was in the RCP. She kept insisting I must have read it wrong or it didn't apply in the court hearing my case. I was not going to argue with her. She was giving legal advice which she shouldn't have been doing anyhow. Plus, I was absolutely damn sure it applied.

I went back to my question of whether it was in the folder. She put me on hold again and found it and said she would try to get it on the calendar but still kept insisting it did not apply. I called back 2 days later to confirm whether it would be heard, and I was told yes - it was in the folder.

The MSJ was a total joke. I read it, drafted my opposition and drove it to the court for filing. At trial, the plaintiff immediately told the judge they were withdrawing their MSJ. My MTD was granted.

So, not only are some court workers apathetic, they also will give out bad info. Had I not done my research and used this forum, she might have convinced me.

I see why the employees are told not to give legal advice.

Be cautious. For that matter, I am cautious of what attorneys say also. As fightemdontfold said, many do not know how to handle debt cases and only want to talk about bankruptcy.

Edited by Patz

The Deputy Clerk at the Court told me,when I submitted an Answer to the Complaint, that it would only be a matter of time before the Plaintiff(AKA JDB) would win!!! That answering a Complaint just prolongs the process but that eventually the court would favor them. I was shocked!! She was trying to discourage me into not filing an answer. You should've seen her face when I filed a Counterclaim against them--I guess that was unheard of!!!

I suppose my experiance with the court clerks pale in comparison to some accounts made here. They did not discourage me from anwsering or say I had no hope. I was just frustrated at the fact that they seemed to have no interest in investigating or having their superiors investigate their questionable tactics. They seemed not to care that citizens were being preyed upon by these companies.

Actually the state I live in sounds like it is not all that bad compared to others, again it is all relative, as KY does not allow cases to proceed forward with no service (I have read some states allow the JDB's to get judgements after a certain period of time service is attempted and fails) and it has the state statute that actually spells out that a entity that buys a debt cannot collect more than they paid for it.

Still though even here, what stops anybody from just making an accusation against someone, listing a amount they want to collect from that person, and serving them with a lawsuit? Some unscrupulous people could find out if the person they are targeting is in financial trouble and just sue them in hopes the person is so overwhelmed and just ignores the suit, and boom they get a default judgment. I mean the JDB's really have no more evidence than the random unscrupulous scumbag who might think to execute a scheme like that, just a sheet or two of paper with no proof.

There should simply be a higher threshold of evidence that is demanded by the courts before a person can be sued. Again, at very least, the courts should be open to hearing consumer complaints and should be more proactive to monitor the activity of these JDB's. After they have displayed behavior that displays they are using the court to enrich themselves through defaults and have shown no ability to prove a case against someone who fights back, they should simply be barred from filing lawsuits.

On a separate topic you brought up, a curious thing that happened when I was looking into hiring a lawyer.

I think this was actually after I had filed my anwser, I was just trying to see how much it might be to hire a lawyer in the event my case went to court (which it never did). Actually it was when I was filing my anwser because I found the lawyer information after researching a couple of court files that I had reviewed for people who had filed anwsers against a JDB suing them, I was wanting to apply what they had done to my research and my case, get a complete look at what I should do.

Anyway I contacted the lawyer that had filed the anwser for the guy who had anwsered the JDB's suit. The case had sat from Feb 2010 when it was anwsered to Dec 2010. The anwser was much less than I filed, no affirmative defenses, no denials for every claim listed by the JDB, just a blanket denial of all claims in the complaint. I am sure the guy paid a few hundred dollars for that, probably more than that.

So I contact the office and explain that I had been sued by another JDB and that I had found them through looking through court files. They proceeded to tell me after a few minutes that they didn't represent people in those cases anymore. They never gave me an anwser as to why. My first thought was that the cases never lead to them actually going to court and doing much of anything after the anwser, which means this did not lead to future monetary gain the ways other cases might.

Then I notice about a week ago the JDB that sued the guy (Portfolio Recovery) has a hearing set in a month on that case, they have a show cause hearing set, I will be going to the courthouse here in a few days to check out what has transpired.

What I finally decided back when I was in the initial stages of my case was that I would do a better job of defending myself, considering the fact that I had put hours into researching the ends and outs of the JDB's, than any lawyer I could hire (with the exception of a good consumer lawyer). I resolved that since so few of these cases went to trial, that any lawyer would have limited if any experiance defending against them since they so rarely go to trial. Again I was a bit antsy about it relative to it going to trial and how I would do, not having any court experiance, but there just are so few lawyers who specialize in these cases that one is best served to fight them on their own if they are able to research the ins and outs of everything.

Also, no lawyer is going to care or have as much invested in the outcome than the person being sued.

I guess since so few of these cases go to trial, that it would be hard to make a living specializing in these cases.

I do wish I could remember who it was,what lawyer's office (can't because I was calling a bunch in the phone book right after I was served) that told me that I had no chance to beat the JDB and that I should just file bankruptcy so I could show them a copy of the dismissal of the suit filed against me I got last week.

..........Still though even here, what stops anybody from just making an accusation against someone, listing a amount they want to collect from that person, and serving them with a lawsuit? Some unscrupulous people could find out if the person they are targeting is in financial trouble and just sue them in hopes the person is so overwhelmed and just ignores the suit, and boom they get a default judgment. I mean the JDB's really have no more evidence than the random unscrupulous scumbag who might think to execute a scheme like that, just a sheet or two of paper with no proof.

There should simply be a higher threshold of evidence that is demanded by the courts before a person can be sued. Again, at very least, the courts should be open to hearing consumer complaints and should be more proactive to monitor the activity of these JDB's. After they have displayed behavior that displays they are using the court to enrich themselves through defaults and have shown no ability to prove a case against someone who fights back, they should simply be barred from filing lawsuits.

Agree 100%.

I also think the filing fee should be higher. Anyone can file ANYTHING if the cost to file is $20.00. But $200 would deter some of the meaningless cases.

There should also be a fee to be paid to the court for filing a complaint that turns out to be meritless.

Would be simple to stop the madness. BUT they don't want to. And that is a pathetic fact of so-called justice in America. The courts are allowing and taking part in a legitimatized racket against the people.

The complaint I recently received should never be allowed to be filed. NO DETAILS OR SUPPORT WHATSOVER was attached. Just a one page document with 3 very short counts. That's it.

On a larger stage, people are losing their homes on foreclosure complaints that can't be proved.

You have given me food for thought. I'm gonna shoot off a letter to my state representative.

Just for those curious--my Lawyer charges $500 flat fee. However I don't know if I'm going to get the $500 worth out of him because I did all of the foot-work and only wanted him because the Judge told me to set a Trial date. I got sooo scared--I've never even been to traffic court and now a trial!!! I think I am the talk of the town!!! And it is a little town.

This is so ridiculous that Americans have to defend themselves against third party JDB. Funny thing-----Portfolio Recovery wasn't licensed in the State of Utah when they filed suit against me and only just became licesned Aug 30, 2011---after my pre-trial conference, when they knew I was going to retain a lawyer. I asked my lawyer if we could get the case dismissed on the basis of them not being licesned back in April when the law suit was filed. He said probably but then they would just turn around and sue me agian and I would have to go through the whole thing all over. Thoughts??????

Patz---The idiots who currently have two separate suits filed against me for the same alleged debt (Portfolio Recovery) on file with the court paid $186.00 to file both cases, the reciept was on the file. When you think about how much these companies make off these suits (remember 90% of the suits they win by default) the filing fees being at a higher rate wouldn't do much good.

I think the "penalty fee" you suggested should go to those of us who don't play dead and anwser their suits, not the courts. It is our time and effort that is being expended to anwser these suits that never go anywhere.

What JDB were you sued by if you don't mind saying. Your complaint sounds as barebones as the one that was filed against me that was dismissed. That was filed by an outfit out of Chicago called The Bureaus Inc. I found it particularly amusing as the other suit against me, filed by a well known scumbag company, Portfolio Recovery, did have a little bit more information about the alleged account. It wasn't enough to prove their case in court, the the basic account information and the affidavit of debt (which is BS anyway) was more than the Bureaus provided which was just claims and amounts.

Odds are, your account has probably been sold more than once.

Perhaps your state rep is an exception, but you must remember that the system is terminally corrupt and as long as we resolve to vote in another criminal into office we will get much the same result as before. We must as a citizenry recognize that a wholesale upheaval is what is needed, the system and establishment cannot be reformed, it is too sick with diesese, we need to focus on building a new establishment, based on the some of the priciples of the founders,but also with safeguards to prevent that new society from being corrupted as this one has.

Utah - Yeah I was taken back by the quote I got on a lawyer here recently when I called a few offices. I was actually calling to see if any lawyers might be able to tell me if what had happened to me could be grounds for a lawsuit (again Portfolio Recovery filed another suit against me over the same debt without having ever resolved the prior suit which is still on file). I would want representation if I were to file a suit against them, and was hoping I could get a lawyer who would share in the winnings and not demand an up front payment from me.

Well after calling a number of lawyers,most of them being bankruptcy, and getting nowhere, I was referred to another office. I made it clear I wanted a lawyer to file a suit on my behalf. They were actually pretty nice in listening, but when I got a call back they proceeded to quote me a price on them representing me in the case, to defend against it.

A $500 retainer then $150 an hour after that. Yep, then a few days later I get the dismissal in the other suit against me by the other JDB. You can save a boatload of money if you have the time and attention to detail to put toward researching a few basic things (filing an proper anwser with affirmative defenses,etc, sending off and anwsering discovery properly) that can leave these JDB's and their lawsuits dead in the water.