Could Have Been Voided Debt - Think I screwed up

allie5un

I had a T-Mobile account. In late 2007, I moved from Cali to West Virginia. T-Mobile said I could cancel my account without paying the early termination fee because they do not have service in WV. So, I faxed a copy of my Driver's License and called it good. A while later, I got a letter from Plaza Associates saying I owed almost $400 to T-Mobile. And I called and disputed it and said that I didn't think that was right, my phone should have been cancelled. (I don't know the timeline of when I received this letter and when I called.) I fought with the manager (I was only 20 at the time) and he got me to say that MAYBE I might have owed a couple dollars on the last month's bill or something, interest or whatever. (Like I said, I was 20 and coerced.) Anyways, I've tried calling T-Mobile and, just my luck, get stuck talking to someone who hates their job and won't look into it. (They sold my account, therefore they don't have anything to do with it anymore, is what the T-Mobile rep said.) So I just dropped the whole thing. The CA never called me, didn't know my number I guess. Just a letter ever 6 months or so with a new settlement amount.

I finally called back in February 2011 to just get it off my credit. They said settle for $108. I researched and have been finding MANY people pay the settlement amount and then The CA says the money wasn't received, or they don't apply it, or something. So I don't want to send them a dime. I just got another letter today saying the settlement amount is now up to $120. I have never been called, just annoyed to the point of no return when I try to call them.

I got a hold of a VERY nice lady at T-Mobile today and she is turning it over to their department that handles this and needs to pull up my old account (since it's from 2007.) She said it could take up to 10 business days. In the meantime, I told her I will NOT deal with Plaza Associates and I can't believe they do business with them. She asked who that was because my CA was "Wm W Siegel & Assoc" (which I'm finding out is just one big scam).

Anyways, what I want to know, this thing has just been sitting dormant with Plaza Associates since sometime in 2009ish. Is there anything I can do this late in the game since I was immature and unaware and didn't bother to read up on DV letters and the like? If nothing comes of talking with T-Mobile, what are my options? I will NOT send a dime to these foreigners. (Somehow they all have "American-ized" names; Frank Smith, Ryan Johnson, and some GIRL named Wayne... But they barely speak English!) But like I told the woman at T-Mobile, it IS on my credit report, for $300. I have since gotten 2 cars, both in my name, and a couple loans for a couple thousand dollars each (credit boosters, school books, etc) and it hasn't hampered me in any way. I am determined to let it sit on my credit report until I'm 80 if that's the way it's got to be.

ANY help would be splendid! Thanks! :)++

~ Allison

I read your post and am still scratching my head on why you give a flip. The last part about it not affecting your credit really made me scratch my head.

However, to answer your question, no there is nothing you can do other than pay it, sue them (don't see a case), or wait for it to fall off.

TMOBILE is getting ready to send you a letter saying we wish you the best of luck, we don't own this debt so deal with the new owners direct. It's called junk debt for a reason.

I don't really give a flip at all. Plaza doesn't contact me other than a letter every once in a while, but they've even stopped that recently. My fiancee is the one who mentioned I just need to get rid of it. Which, I'm all for really. But - with the company as shady as I've read about online and through the BBB - I don't want to send them a dime. People have sent payments that have been cashed and not posted to their debt, people have had identies stolen after sending them a check, other people say they won't accept CMRRR (why in the heck not??) And anytime I call to try to figure it out, they tell me in some dialect I can barely understand, that T-Mobile is only allowing them to settle for X amount, when I know that's BS because T-Mobile has sold them the debt and doesn't care about it anymore. They wrote it off back in 2007.

If I get that letter or whatever from T-Mobile, that's fine. I just figured I'd TRY one last time to get this resolved because I do not owe the debt. Back in 2007, they said fax them a copy of my DL and they'd cancel my service, no early term fee, because they didn't have service in my area. Then they didn't do it. If it shows it in the old notes that I called to have them cancel and find out what to do, and they cancelled my (now ex-)boyfriend's line without a problem, when he lived and moved to the same address, why didn't they do mine.

Like I said, I'm really not TOO TOO worried about it. It's been sitting there since 2010 from these Plaza people and I have never been affected by it, that I know of. Still have a fairly high credit score with only $15k worth of debt to my name. I was just seeing what anyone could say my options were to try to get rid of these F#%*sticks.