Sign in to follow this  
F_ _ _ed

clearing old judgements

I'm trying to get my cr cleaned up for job and security clearances.

I have a cap 1, amex judgement of roughly 5000 each. I also have a lawsuit that was paid to a private party still showing. These are the result of 20+ years of business that has bottomed out.

Should I see a lawyer to try and clear these off of my report.

I seem to be reading that judgements seem to carry the most weight on your cr.

I'm trying to get my cr cleaned up for job and security clearances.

I have a cap 1, amex judgement of roughly 5000 each. I also have a lawsuit that was paid to a private party still showing. These are the result of 20+ years of business that has bottomed out.

Should I see a lawyer to try and clear these off of my report.

I seem to be reading that judgements seem to carry the most weight on your cr.

Judgments can remain on your CR for 7 years. Regarding the paid judgment, unless the party agreed in the settlement to remove the entry, it can remain for 7 years, as well.

You used the word "can", so it is possible to clean these up?

I meant "can" as in "are allowed". That's just the law. I'm not saying you can't try to have them removed, but unless they're being reported incorrectly or something else is wrong, you'd have an uphill battle. It wouldn't hurt to ask an attorney to make sure.

I have disputed public records with the bureaus a couple of times and gotten them off my report.

Many public records are sold to them by third or fourth parties, which can make it easier to challenge them.

My thinking is dispute first and see what happens...if they stay on, then send an MOV letter - that should shake them off.

How old were these public records that you disputed and were removed?

I'm guessing time will make a difference to the sucess of dispute/remove.

Cleaning up judgements depends on how old they are, some can be cleaned up asap while others may take a lot longer, if its 7 years or longer those will come off quickly, just request to the CRA to have it deleted that it is past the SOL, If the information is not accurate you can request that listing to be deleted and that they are in violation of FCRA for reporting inaccurate information, I have had some victories with requesting for information to be deleted that was paid, I just kept requesting for them to delete it like once a month and after a while it came off, a lawyer may help.... good luck.