Wage Garnishment

Yawo64

Hello,

Pressler and Pressler has gotton a wage garnisment against me. Earlier this year, they won a judgement for an old debt, and we agreed on a payment plan which I had adhered to until June when unemployment and arson rendered me incapable of meeting the payment terms. I called them, but they refused to accept lower payments. In September, I was ready to start payment and called them again. They refused indicating that they would pursue wage garnishment. Today, i received a letter from my HR department informing me that my wages have been garnished. They offered me an option to either object to the garnishment or apply for reduction in the amount garnished.

For starters, I did not receive any letter from Pressler and Pressler that they have pursued this.

What is the logical option to pursue at this time: either object to the garnishment or reduction? I live in NJ and the amount in question is about $1500.

Thanks - Y

They don't need to notify you that they are garnishing your check...so to be a stinker, I'd object to it.

What is the total amount of the judgment? It'd be worth it to see if you can negotiate a settlement for lower that the judgment amount, after all, it's better than you filing BK and them recovering very little to nothing.

He said it's about $1500. I can't imagine they'd take less since they already have a judgement for the amount along with an active garnishment order signed by the judge. And filing BK on $1500 wouldn't be worth it IMO especially given the fact that the garnishment would be done by the time he even got a judge to stay the garnishment because of filing for BK and I would be seriously suprised if he could even qualify for chapter 7 if he's only got a few debts around that size.