Occupy Wall Street

Fairy Enchantress

A hodge podge of unemployed, disenfranchised, and in some cases confused people who think the firms in and around wall street exist to care for them. Every person has their own gripe, some legitimate. But all in all, they come across as bratty twenty somethings who are managing to support thermselves somehow (mom & dad's credit card?) and are somehow entitled to jump to the front of the line and be granted a middle class lifestyle.

Note that they talk in worthless generalities, such as "its about democracy" and "the banks are destroying us". Many want the federal government "to do something", which could range from extending unemployment to breaking up the banks to who knows what. Others, though I fear the minority, are upset about corporate bailouts such as TARP and want the federal government to eliminate programs that backstop corporate failure with taxpayer funds. Seems misplaced to say the least. They should not be in NYC but in Washington in front of Congress or in front of the Federal Reserve building. But a sleep over in Washington is less exciting than NYC, so the brats have parked themselves in Manhattan.

What are your opinions regarding Occupy Wall Street?

The Occupy Wall Street protest which is now spreading nationwide is something we should not only support but participate in. Even though we see a lot of people support force or big government solutions, the overriding theme for many is the problem of bank and corporate control over our lives. How we can help is by showing people that this isn't a capitalism vs. the people issue but a corporatism vs. freedom issue.

Most people at this protest see the core of the problem correctly, the power elite ruling over the people with little or no control by we the people. Where they often go off course is by thinking that if they can just vote in the right government, all will change. I hope the 2008 election helps to show people that great rhetoric for change from establishment politicians is not the answer.

One issue I promote heavily is the idea of putting banks and financial institutions at risk. If they were required to have a dollar in capital for every dollar in loans outstanding, we would not have had a credit crisis. We would not have had a bubble either because banks would not have been allowed to create money out of thin air.

Another issue to promote is the rights of individuals over groups, especially government protected corporate groups. This leads to explaining how majority rule is not the solution, individual rights based on not allowing anyone or entity to initiate force on any individual. Our framework is in place, we just need to obey the rights of the individual again and we can have peace and take back the power from the elite.

"the communist revolution starts now"

"The banks are satan, capitalism has failed, obama rules"

"Another 99 weeks"

you get it, they say what ever their college professors and high school teachers have taught them when they(teachers) were supposed to be teaching them how to make it on their own.

So No I don't think they(banks) are evil just looking to make as much money as possible If these same protesters run out of food and no one feeds them they will die. That is because the have no skills to feed themselves.

And a little side note all the free food in the country has already been used up.

Somebody forgot "there is no such thing as a free lunch"

A hodge podge of unemployed, disenfranchised, and in some cases confused people who think the firms in and around wall street exist to care for them. Every person has their own gripe, some legitimate. But all in all, they come across as bratty twenty somethings who are managing to support thermselves somehow (mom & dad's credit card?) and are somehow entitled to jump to the front of the line and be granted a middle class lifestyle.

Note that they talk in worthless generalities, such as "its about democracy" and "the banks are destroying us". Many want the federal government "to do something", which could range from extending unemployment to breaking up the banks to who knows what. Others, though I fear the minority, are upset about corporate bailouts such as TARP and want the federal government to eliminate programs that backstop corporate failure with taxpayer funds. Seems misplaced to say the least. They should not be in NYC but in Washington in front of Congress or in front of the Federal Reserve building. But a sleep over in Washington is less exciting than NYC, so the brats have parked themselves in Manhattan.

I think that about sums it up. There are some people who understand what has been going on and are pissed, then there are a lot of people who know that they should be angry, but are only vaguely aware of why.

As long as they don't get co-opted and turn the protests into a left vs right issue, which the media seems to be trying to do, I'm all for it. The protest is spreading all over the country, hopefully it stays peaceful and it results in getting the big money out of politics.

I saw many rightfully angry, but confused, kids get used and wrongly denigrated during the '60s thru early '70s, and the violence that went with it, "Up close and personal".

I don't want to see it happen again.

"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable."

-- John F. Kennedy

Agree. This sums it up perfectly.

I liked this comment from Mike Rivero. He's nailed the situation,IMHO! :lol:

As a side note, I am getting a flood of emails (from email addresses I have never seen before; a dead giveaway right there) insisting that OccupyAMERICA is not a real grass roots movement but "Astroturf", meaning a fake manufactured front for a political agenda. But there is a really easy way to tell grassroots from astroturf.

20 people with professional printed signs in matching fonts in front of city hall with a lot of media coverage? Astroturf.

Millions of Americans marching in every major city while the media tries not to notice? Grassroots.

I'll let you make up your own minds, but the fact is that if either the Democrats or Republicans had the popular support to mount a record-setting mass movement across the land, there would be no need for a mass movement across the land.

The other side is playing dirty, and it is only going to get worse.

put out of work.

Or maybe these are paid protesters like the ads in the penny saver and craigslist advertises.

I know you haVE SEEN THEM:

GET PAID FOR POLITICAL ACTIVISM.

You can make money by being a political activist for major parties. please call yada yadayada.

You have seen these.

Unfortunately we in LA need a mayor not an Alcalde(not racist referencing the alcalde in the Zorro series) who can see that these are just paid sidewalk sitters.

And lastly why is spe******t asterisked out on this board?

Edited by Seadragon
asking if spe******t is a bad word because it is censored

And lastly why is spe******t asterisked out on this board?

Silly! Everyone knows spe******t is a double-secret racist codeword for ************!!

Kids these days! ... mumble ... I swear ... mumble ...don't know nothin' ... mumble mumble ...

Edited by Goldbug

Silly! Everyone knows spe******t is a double-secret racist codeword for ************!!

Kids these days! ... mumble ... I swear ... mumble ...don't know nothin' ... mumble mumble ...

That's what i thought because it had ******t in it it was banned.

No conspiracy here, nothing to see, JUST ACCEPT IT!(sorry that's from another post)

I did not asterisk anything that is how the forum presented the words for c i a l i s t

Ok now I got it it is because it had the name of a common ED pill in it and the spam filter was working overtime. Stand down no cia conspiracy here.

Edited by Seadragon
My post is conspiracy related joke but it is even creepier now

Just a Bunch of Confused Malcontents !

Confused? Yep! Some just know they're being handed the dirty end of the stick, but, they haven't figured out who is handing it to them. That's why they're in danger of being co-opted.

Just a bunch of confused malcontents? No, some of them know exactly what's going on. They probably won't fit the image the media is trying to sell though, so you won't be shown those.

It's so funny to see pics of them on TV...all old, aged hippies or twentysomethings that expect that they will get rich by gov't decree...

The kids know they have no future if the cronyism between money interests and government is not corrected. The "old, aged hippies" know their progeny have no future for the same reasons.

Most don't want government handouts, they would like to get the money out of politics, though.

Answer me this, unemployment has been at 4% or so for decades. Now, suddenly, it's at about 9%. What happened to make unemployment almost double the last few years. Did 5% of the workforce suddenly decide to become impoverished and live on gov't handouts? Or, did gov't policies put them out of work?

I saw an interview from the Sacramento protest and the guy had no idea why he was there...

Whoever is doing the interview is going to find someone that illustrates his point or furthers his agenda. The person being interviewed may be typical, or may be one out of many protesters.

• 2 weeks later...

I am for Occupy Wall Street for my own reasons, we have ups and down in the economy which has a big hand of the Corporate biggies while the public in general have almost no control over such change in the events like recession. During such times, while these Corporate Houses survive, while many household perish and people are on the street. Oil companies on the other hand do any kind of oil spill in the sea damaging flora and fauna of the locals and the only default they are punished with is to pay lump sum money which is anyways filled with. Companies like Nike and other companies find cheaper labor in Asian countries and pay wages which are as low enough to serve a family of three a meal of a day and that too which is limited, while they are not punished but the public. When recession hit, only few corporate biggies collapsed (even their collapse was a loss to public), but many were homeless. There should be some action taken into consideration. This protest has many objectives and the government must be awakened regarding the same.