collection agency dispute

kyle2227

I disputed an item on my credit report. It was a collection agency that was trying to get me to pay an old debt that they bought from my original creditor.

The collection agency sent me a letter in the mail saying, "The purpose of this letter is to request your assistance so that we may reach a quick resolution to your dispute." We currently requested the three major reporting agencys change the status of this account as "Disputed."

Please send us documentation to help us resolve this. Examples of such documentation may include the following:

1. Statements that verify amounts owed to WAMU/PROVIDIAN BANK.

2. Statements that verify the account was paid in full showing the balance has been fully satisfied.

Please send these statements right away to resolve this matter in a timely fashion. Otherwise we will be forced to persue any and all available "legal actions" to collect this debt including but not limited to a lawsuit.

We thank you for your quick resolution of this matter.

Are they allowed to threaten to sue me because I disputed?

The debt is past the I own them the money statue of limitations in PA and will be passed the reporting period statue of limitions on september of last year. I can't remember for the life of me what I originally owed WAMU/PROVIDIAN BANK but I know it was no where near the $1,975 the collection agency has listed on my report. Unless interest was added all these years.

I am thinking about not writing back to the letter the collection agency sent me I think they are just trying to scare me into paying thinking that I am consumer that does not know my legal rights.

Edited by kyle2227
spelling mistakes lol

I disputed an item on my credit report. It was a collection agency that was trying to get me to pay an old debt that they bought from my original creditor.

The collection agency sent me a letter in the mail saying, "The purpose of this letter is to request your assistance so that we may reach a quick resolution to your dispute." We currently requested the three major reporting agencys change the status of this account as "Disputed."

Please send us documentation to help us resolve this. Examples of such documentation may include the following:

1. Statements that verify amounts owed to WAMU/PROVIDIAN BANK.

2. Statements that verify the account was paid in full showing the balance has been fully satisfied.

Please send these statements right away to resolve this matter in a timely fashion. Otherwise we will be forced to persue any and all available "legal actions" to collect this debt including but not limited to a lawsuit.

We thank you for your quick resolution of this matter.

Are they allowed to threaten to sue me because I disputed?

The debt is past the I own them the money statue of limitations in PA and will be passed the reporting period statue of limitions on september of last year. I can't remember for the life of me what I originally owed WAMU/PROVIDIAN BANK but I know it was no where near the $1,975 the collection agency has listed on my report. Unless interest was added all these years.

I am thinking about not writing back to the letter the collection agency sent me I think they are just trying to scare me into paying thinking that I am consumer that does not know my legal rights.

Yes, they're trying to scare you into paying. Don't send them any information at all. Have you ever received a letter from them before? If they've never sent you a letter before, did this letter letter state they are debt collectors along with the 30 day dispute notice?

Let me make sure I understand. The SOL for negative reporting is 7 to 7.5 years. Did you say that 7.5 year mark was up last September?

Thanks for the reply. The sol for negative reporting is up next september(2012) but the sol for me legally oweing the debt has already passed. This is the first letter they have sent me about the dispute. The only letters they have sent before are letters trying to get me to pay the debt.

My reply back would be this:

The documents you have asked for should be in your possession already. As such, your letter merely supports my assertion that your firm does not have any documentation proving that I owe anything, let alone be able to prove an alleged debt in a court of law.

Your firm has 10 days to delete this item from my consumer credit report, as this reporting is a violation of the FCRA.