How did people in the judgements Hall of Fame get $1000 per violation?

KCG116

I read a lot of the posts and saw over and over again people getting judgments for big money because they were being paid per violation...

Yet I was told by attorney I could only get $1000 total no matter how bad the defendant behaved, as in number of separate violations and how many times they committed those violations...

So what's the difference? Did something change over time?

Or does it depend on what courts (small claims as opposed to Federal etc.) ?

Guest usctrojanalum

If you sue strictly under the FDCPA and no other law, the attorney you spoke to was right. However, they are often state consumer laws that expand and might offer relief on a per violation basis.

There is also a few lucky individuals that managed to get a judge and opposing attorney that did not know the limitation. However those days are pretty much over since the CAs and JDBs have attorneys that specificly handle these cases for them and are well versed.

The $1000 limit is only for punitive damages. Some people here have been creative in coming up with actual damages and a set amount to sue for and hence, get a settlement based on that (and some lawyers will do that too).

Also, there are people that top off FDCPA along with other laws such as Federal telecommunications laws, credit reporting laws, state debt collection laws, and laws regarding harassment and I am sure slander/libel laws. Hence the high awards.

I understand what you all are telling me that there are other items to add to the lawsuits for higher awards like actual damages etc.

However, again I am talking about the cases in the lawsuit hall of fame forum forum where people in the past specifically said they received $1000 PER VIOLATION...

If any of you have a few minutes to read some of those postings, perhaps you will specifically what I am referring to and can comment...

Thanks everyone!

I've gotten $1,000 from a JDB for sending an affidavit of a debt to me as validation. I sued cause it was created to look like a court document.

Their attorney had $1,000 check for me within 45 days of my filing suit.

////

Generally, you will not get $1k per violation - that's not how the FDCPA is written. You get $1k per action - meaning per lawsuit no matter the number of FDCPA violations involved.

TCPA is the Telephone Consumer Protection Act - prevents calls to cell phones using automatic dialing devices and leaving non-emergency recorded calls.

Damages are $500 per call or can be tripled if you can show intentional disregard = $1,500 per call.

I had a JDB call my cell phone 80 times. $119,000 for the TCPA violations, $1k for them threatening me "things will only get worse."

We settled for $80k, I got $40k, attorney took $40k.

Guest usctrojanalum

You can make a lot of $$ off TCPA violations, unfortunately these are rare now. Companies are not really using robo-dialers to cell phones anymore. I'm sure there are some companies that will still violate this way, but I used to get these phone calls weekly years ago - now I haven't received 1 robo-dialer phone call to my cell phone probably in a solid 2 and 1/2 years.