broke student being sued by Midland credit management

This past Sunday my father was served with papers for me regarding a debt from a couple years ago. Totaling $967. My court date is set for Oct 19th, I couldn't pick up the summons until today as I don't live at my parents. The court is in Boulder, CO. I have not filed an answer yet as requested or filled out the questionnaire attached to it. Nor have I contacted them in any manner. Can't really afford a lawyer so I will be representing myself in this manner. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much for reading.

This past Sunday my father was served with papers for me regarding a debt from a couple years ago. Totaling $967. My court date is set for Oct 19th, I couldn't pick up the summons until today as I don't live at my parents. The court is in Boulder, CO. I have not filed an answer yet as requested or filled out the questionnaire attached to it. Nor have I contacted them in any manner. Can't really afford a lawyer so I will be representing myself in this manner. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much for reading.

Is this a credit card debt?

The court is in Boulder, CO.

Do you live in Boulder? If you do not then you have a potential FDCPA violation to use as a counter claim. The nice thing about counter claims with midland is they usually want to get out of the case very fast once counter claims are made.

inconvienent venue=$1000

third party disclosure of debt=$1000

unfortunately the court will transfer venue to your court. I don't know if you can demurrer in CO. but a motion to strike would be in order for lack of jurisdiction of the court.

I would check the court rulings for your local court first and see if they rule fairly aor are part of the debt collection express. also check that court. Many larger courts rule funny but suburban courts can sometimes rule in wierd ways to the detriment of defendants.

So I think in most courts you can specially appear to bring up the fact of no jurisdiction. If the court is not your local court it is a violation.

check it out and let us know.