Can you have 3 Collections over one debt?

cali11

I had an HSBC card get charged off over $600.It will be on my CR untill 2013.In 2009 LVNV bought the account & I never got a DV letter from them.So I sent them a DV saying I owe you nothing.The one HAL posted.So today I get a DV letter from Resurgent Capital Services.It says they are collecting for LVNV who owns the account.It says I have 30 days to DV or they will be reporting it on all three CRAs.So now I will have 3 account on my CR for one collection.One from HSBS,LVNV and now these Resurgent guys.Can they do this?If they can, whats to stop it from going from CA to CA? This really sucks b/c I was starting to get my credit score up.In the last month I have came up from mid 500s to mid 600s.Looks like im going back to the 500s again!Its either that or see if they will do a PFD.What really sucks is this account was last paid way over 6 years!

Terms seem to often get mixed up, but the ones I have always used are "original creditor" is who you opened the account with, and "current creditor" is who most recently purchased the account. The original creditor can still report, but must report a balance of zero if sold. The current creditor obvious can report, as can the assigned collector (but I don't know the mechanisms of making sure this gets reported as one account).

Ok so can a CA buy an account and list it on your CR,then give it to another CA and have them also list it on your CR? From what I have read, Resurgent Capital Services is owned by same company as LVNV.So what there going to do is hit my credit report twice!Does not seem fair.

CAs don't buy debts. JDBs buy debts, and then contract with a CA to hassle you. The JDB and CA may be owned by the same people, but they're legally separate companies to contain the liability for any lawsuits.

So, yes, you can have 3 dings on your CRs for the same debt. The OC (although with a $0 balance, that doesn't hurt much), the JDB, and the CA.