SNFernandez

CAs reporting on authorized users

My husband and I have been trying to clean up our credit for several months now, and one account, which was initially a business credit card, was charged off a few years ago, and the CA has only been contacting my husband and only reports on his credit report. No idea why.

The OC/CO for the business CC has never been listed on either of our reports, but the CA is listed on his for some reason.

I'm wondering whether or not CAs are allowed to report authorized users simply because if they are, I'm confused as to why this is the only CA reporting on his credit report. The other OCs/COs are listed on his report, but not one other CA.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Edited by SNFernandez

Send them a Debt Validation request.

Separately, remind the CA that an "authorized user" is NOT the same as a "co-signer". Try to locate the original CC agreement wherein you should find a paragraph explaining the rights and responsibilities of Co-signers vs. authorized users.

First, make sure you understand what an AU is....its someone who has been given permission by some one else to use the account.

If this was a business card...there are two possibilities.

1.) Your husband "personally guaranteed" the account. That means if the business doesn't pay it, your husband will. (This is normal for small businesses).

b.) Your husband was "issued" a card with his name on it by a very large company for which he worked. Although it might have the large company's name on it, if you read the fine print he was given with the card, it says HE is responsible for paying the card, although the large business will usually send in their check.

Send them a Debt Validation request.

Separately, remind the CA that an "authorized user" is NOT the same as a "co-signer". Try to locate the original CC agreement wherein you should find a paragraph explaining the rights and responsibilities of Co-signers vs. authorized users.

Unfortunately we do not have the credit card agreement. I'm not sure I explained the situation very well in my original post, but it was my small business, which never ended up going anywhere. The statute of limitations has run its course, but I'm hoping to get this off his credit report. It seems very odd to me that the OC never reported on either of us and the CA only reports on his.

Thanks for your response.

First, make sure you understand what an AU is....its someone who has been given permission by some one else to use the account.

If this was a business card...there are two possibilities.

1.) Your husband "personally guaranteed" the account. That means if the business doesn't pay it, your husband will. (This is normal for small businesses).

b.) Your husband was "issued" a card with his name on it by a very large company for which he worked. Although it might have the large company's name on it, if you read the fine print he was given with the card, it says HE is responsible for paying the card, although the large business will usually send in their check.

We don't remember him signing anything, but it was about five years ago now. Not sure what to do at this point. He disputed on Experian because they don't report negative AU accounts. We'll see what happens with that.

Thanks for responding.