SNFernandez

Legally changed my name. Will it hurt me?

I'll try to be as brief as possible. Please bear with me.

In 2007 I was laid off and realized I couldn't continue making my monthly credit card payments, and I made what was probably the biggest mistake of all by signing up with a scam credit consolidation company and lost $3500 before I realized they weren't doing anything for me. Lesson learned there.

Anyway, all of my accounts were eventually charged off and have been sent to various collections agencies since then. I've settled the accounts I could afford to over the past several months. This was before I started doing some research and realized I wasn't really helping myself.

And I'm trying to finally clean up my credit report.

At this point the SOL in my state has run its course; however, I'm always concerned that another state's laws may come into play since I don't have our credit card agreements.

And I'm concerned about contacting the CAs or OCs because in 2007 I legally changed my first name (the expense of filing was a gift, by the way) because I was enrolling in school and wanted to have a more conventional name as I started to build relationships in my new career. It wasn't any attempt to avoid my creditors, as evidenced by the fact that simultaneously I was enrolling in the BS debt consolidation program, but I never contacted any creditors per the scam artist's instructions. Now I'm worried that concealing my legal name now might appear to be some kind of effort to skip and could result in tolling the SOL somehow. And I don't know whether or not I should write my letters in my old name, my current name, or both.

Although I did report my name change to the Social Security department immediately, somehow my alias has only made its way to Equifax, and my Experian and TransUnion appear as though I've never had any credit issues (about a 150-200 point difference between them and Equifax).

I'm just wondering how best to handle this.

Thanks in advance. Sorry it was so long.

I would not reach out to any CA about an account that has been dead since 2007.

Can't imagine how changing your name would affect the SOL but I'm no attorney. In due time, your credit reports will catch up.

You commented, "concealing your legal name." But if you legally changed it, you now have a new legal name.

I would not reach out to any CA about an account that has been dead since 2007.

Can't imagine how changing your name would affect the SOL but I'm no attorney. In due time, your credit reports will catch up.

You commented, "concealing your legal name." But if you legally changed it, you now have a new legal name.

Thanks for your response.

When I said concealing my name, I just meant leaving it out of any letters I send, but I don't plan on doing that.

I'm only writing goodwill and C&D letters for certain accounts.

Thanks again.