IN NEW YORK STATE ARE ATTORNEYS ALLOWED TO ALSO BE LICENSED DEBT COLLECTORS ???

Hello all you legal Scholars .

I need some clairfication in least sophisticated consumer wording information. on the following In New York State are attorneys allowed to be licensed debt collectors ???

:?::?::?::confused::confused::confused::?::?::?::?::?::?::?::?::?:

I am ignorant , I’m not stupid there is a huge difference. You know what I mean.

it is possible for a law firm to be licensed as a debt collector.

a good example will be Cohen & $lamowitz, LLP. they are a law firm who collect on behalf of entities such as discover bank, capital one, midland funding, but they are also licensed as a debt collector by the Department Of Consumer Affairs.

i am unsure if you are asking about individual attorneys.

what is your issue?

Guest usctrojanalum

The City of New York requires attorneys who collect debt in their normal course of business (not just like 2-3 cases per year for friends or individual clients) to be licensed to practice in the City of New York. I know most of the Counties in lower NY do not require it, such as Suffolk, Nassau, Westchester, Dutchess.