Research: How do you search?

I've been doing proactive researching and learning, but I'm starting to work on researching the "details". That being said, I'm running into some brick walls. Without access to the paid sites, how do you do your research? Is there any "tricks" or word formulations that help you? What do you do when you run into a "brick wall"?

It is very frustrating since I know there is information out there, I'm just not sure how to find it! Is there anyone willing to chat via PM that could help me search for the "details" I'm looking for? I believe my time is coming for the "fun" to begin....

A tip for performing in Google Scholar is to use quotation marks and connect the terms with AND. For instance, if you wanted to find MI case law regarding affidavits, your search times might be:

Michigan AND affidavit AND "personal knowledge"

Some states have more case law regarding debt buyers than others. You would use "debt buyer" or "debt purchaser". If there are no results, try "defaulted debts" or "purchases debts".

What are you specifically looking for? Google Scholar is very good for reading cases, you can formulate it to pull up cases from any state or federal court. Statutes are all on line for every state, so are the rules of practice.

I'm trying to research "details" that would be specific to my future case.... I'd rather not say what exact words, but "know thy enemy" is my motto right now...

I just got a sort of lead on a federal case but I'm not sure how to find it. I've tried looking for it several ways, but I just have no idea if I'm looking in the right places.... it would be a case that was just ruled on this fall too, so that might be part of the problem--maybe not in the system yet?

What are you looking for. When your willing to assist in the research most want to point you in the right direction. Like you said, it's out there for sure. What are the terms or type of issue your struggling with.

Again, I'd rather not say too much right now.... but could I PM you?

A tip for performing in Google Scholar is to use quotation marks and connect the terms with AND. For instance, if you wanted to find MI case law regarding affidavits, your search times might be:

Michigan AND affidavit AND "personal knowledge"

Some states have more case law regarding debt buyers than others. You would use "debt buyer" or "debt purchaser". If there are no results, try "defaulted debts" or "purchases debts".

Grazie BV80! I am pretty good with using the search (how to use " ", AND, etc.) but I feel like I'm not using the correct words or combination of words. I will give your words a try and see what pops up...

Also, if there's a law library in your town, they may be able to help you out...in my town, there is a large law school. I pay a law student a few bucks to help me out with research when I need it.

AHHHHhhhhhhhhhh..... now THAT'S an idea I can work on!!! LOL!!! Grazie Tante!

Also, if there's a law library in your town, they may be able to help you out...in my town, there is a large law school. I pay a law student a few bucks to help me out with research when I need it.

I've done that also. Tell them the kind of cases I'm needing and what I'm looking for. They just provide me the info and don't interpert it or give many an opinion. In my area I think they have been warned not to let it slip into providing legal advice but just providing the research information.

On the topic of research.... how do you search here on CIC for "words" that are acronyms? (ie: OC, JDB, etc) The search function seems to ignore these key 2-3 letter "words"!!!

Here's a pretty comprehensive list. Seems like I can usually find one that's not there though. :roll:

OC- Original Creditor

JDB- Junk Debt Buyer

Here's a pretty comprehensive list. Seems like I can usually find one that's not there though. :roll:

What I meant was how do you use the search function using those acronyms when the search function here on CIC does not let you search using "words"that are only 2-3 letters long???

Example: I want to find out about original creditors as the plaintiff in cases. If I try to search using "OC as the plaintiff", the only words that the search function will search for is "plaintiff"!! Frustrating especially since everyone uses the acronyms in their post and almost never types out the whole meaning of the acronym!!

What I meant was how do you use the search function using those acronyms when the search function here on CIC does not let you search using "words"that are only 2-3 letters long???

Example: I want to find out about original creditors as the plaintiff in cases. If I try to search using "OC as the plaintiff", the only words that the search function will search for is "plaintiff"!! Frustrating especially since everyone uses the acronyms in their post and almost never types out the whole meaning of the acronym!!

On Google:

OC as the plaintiff site:http://www.creditinfocenter.com

Just post the case you're looking for here and we'll help you. What's the big mystery? There are no mysteries in law! You think some JDB lawyer is reading all these posts to help his own cases? No way. They operate on volume and do quite well. Even so, they don't know who you are anyway, and couldn't do anything about it if they did. Whatever you're looking for will eventually be disclosed. You may be looking for a case that has no bearing on your matter.

Just post the case you're looking for here and we'll help you. What's the big mystery? There are no mysteries in law! You think some JDB lawyer is reading all these posts to help his own cases? No way. They operate on volume and do quite well. Even so, they don't know who you are anyway, and couldn't do anything about it if they did. Whatever you're looking for will eventually be disclosed. You may be looking for a case that has no bearing on your matter.

I wish I knew the names involved in the case! Then I might have a chance to find it!! It is just a "complaint" I read on the net about a JDBer... someone supposedly in Michigan supposedly sued them in Federal Court and won. I wish I had more to go on, but I believe the case would have been ruled on in August or September. Again, not much to go on. I was just doing some "extra-curricular reading" and wanted to see if I could find it....

But I'm still trying to do other 2-3 "word" searches here on CIC with no sucess.... :( People need to throw in the long hand version of the acronyms into their thread somewhere to keep it searchable!!!

I have had much more luck using a general Google search rather than the specific Google Scholar. Putting in court specific terms helps a lot: i.e. utah assignment defendant

Me too. I have had much success with a properly formatted Google search. Have found things I would not have found in Scholar.

:bump: Sorry to bump, but I wanted to put a linky in this thread to another thread that SingleDadJames posted in with helpful hints on researching...

http://www.creditinfocenter.com/forums/there-lawyer-house/306715-question-regarding-hearsay-mi-civil-procedure-rules.html

I know that thread didn't start out to be about how to do research, but there are "nuggets of gold" in that thread that might help someone....