Would this be considered a FDCPA violation?

debton

I'm unsure of the exact FDCPA laws, so I was wondering if you guys could give your input.

I thought debt collectors could only leave a message once per day, but what if they don't say much in the message? Like they didn't know the voicemail picked up (because it was a computer dialing your number), so they just say your name, or hello a few times. Does that count as a message?

What if they call a relative? What should they be saying to them, or not be saying to them?

Thanks in advance. :D

The voice mail...if they say your name a few times and hang up, then it is not an FDCPA violation. If they leave a full message regarding the debt, then it is a violation -since others can hear the message (Foti violation).

As far as contacting relatives, they can only do so to get contact info - address, phone number. The cannot discuss the debt - if they do, then it's a violation.

They just called for the 5th time today and said my husband's name and hello with each call on my VM. Sucks they're allowed to be so bothersome.

I talked to my sister-in-law and she said when they called her they told her it was about a Walmart bill and asked for my husband's address and phone number.

I'm unsure of the exact FDCPA laws, so I was wondering if you guys could give your input.

I thought debt collectors could only leave a message once per day, but what if they don't say much in the message? Like they didn't know the voicemail picked up (because it was a computer dialing your number), so they just say your name, or hello a few times. Does that count as a message?

What if they call a relative? What should they be saying to them, or not be saying to them?

Thanks in advance. :D

You could bring these claims;

§1692d(5)- Making the phone ring excessively (or) bother a person repeatedly (engage them in conversation one time after another and another and another); i.e., consecutive calls.

§1692d(6)- Place phone calls without disclosing their identity.

I cannot believe this. They are calling AGAIN as I type this. Number 6 for today alone and those are the ones that I actually saw, it could've been more when I wasn't here. Caller ID only has the most recent call from same number listed.

This is ridiculous!

Thank You for calling. May I have your full name, please? Thank You. Can you please spell it? Do I have a contract with your company? If they answer otherwise, state: That's not my question. Do I have a contract with you?

I will be suing you if you have violated my rights under the Fair Debt Collections Act. Don't Call me again.

helpme :mrgreen: