Is this illegal? What should I do?

validationnoob

Hi,

Mercantile Adjustment Bureau, a JDC, removed an account from my credit files and then re-added it. At first I thought they re-aged it, but it looks like the open date is the same as it was before.

I had requested debt validation and they validated it. I then wrote them a letter to settle the debt (a PFD offer), and after 30 days, did not hear back from them. So, I went back and checked my credit file again. Was happy to see it had been removed from my account.

I then disputed an entirely different collections account, and received an email that the investigation was complete. I logged in to view the results of the investigation, and found the Mercantile account had been added back onto my credit file. I had not disputed this account since before receiving the debt validation.

I'm guessing this is a perfectly legal and legitimate thing for them to do, but I thought I'd write here and ask first to be sure. What should my next step be? Send them another PFD offer? It seems silly since they never replied to my last one.

Thanks!

What should my next step be? Send them another PFD offer? It seems silly since they never replied to my last one.

Agree with that.

The law says the information they report must be accurate. They can add and take off if they wish. It just has to be accurate.

It is one of the reasons when settling a debt you should included in the release they will take the account off the credit report and never put it back on. I know of cases where they will take the account off the report, to satisfy the agreement that just states to remove from the credit report, then just put it right back on.

Did you dispute the debt with the credit bureaus?

WHen you say they removed the debt.. do you mean the JDB or the Credit bureau?

Because if the credit bureau removed your tradeline from your report then re-added it they must notify you within 5 days that they have added it back. If they fail to do so It's an FDCPA violation.