Lawsuit defenses

Ballin

About to go to court for credit card debt. What problems can arise when I have a car loan and other credit cards that I have not defaulted on?

Will creditor bring that up in court and show preferential treatment or something like that what could my defense be?

The truth is a relative pays them for me. I am out of work and have no income. Not sure what my defense should be though and what can happen because of the fact that some of my debts are still being paid.

The bills that are being paid will not even come up.

Also, being broke is not a defense. You will just get a judgment against you that will remain until such time as you're no longer broke.

Not sure what your best option would be, based on the information you provided.

Its over 5k a little.

Still weighing my options. Have looked into arbitration too. I don't have any violations against them so it just doesn't seem wise to go to arbitration or contest it in court because I will get stuck with their legal fees wont I?

I thought they pull my credit report and will point out that certain other loans are still being paid of mine and bring that up in court?.....

Talk about a loser mentality (not you personally as a loser). They have to win first. The other debts are not relevant. This is a credit card trial, not a bankruptcy hearing. You very well might lose, sounds likely, but dang, at least try. They have not even had the trial and your worried about how your going to pay the judgment and explaining how your other bills are paid. Come on, snap out of it.

When your in a situation like yours and have no defense, there is really not much you can do. You have to hold the other sides feet to the fire. You have to embrace the fact your the defendant and they must meet their burden against you. You do this by challenging not necessarily the content of their evidence but the procedural side. In other words is it hearsay, was it properly disclosed, is the evidence being introduced with a proper foundation being established.

You chip, chip, away at their evidence without really disputing the underlying debt. It's what criminal defense attys do all the time. They don't prove their client is innoncent, they show their client is not guilty.

In my opinion, you want to show your not legally liable to the Plaintiff not that you don't owe the Plaintiff.