How To Initiate Claim With FTC after CRA Fails to Respond to Dispute

lmarrie

I gave both Experian and Equifax the customary 45 days to respond to my dispute which they did not do. I wrote a final letter warniing that the were in violation of the law and once again asked for a response which still did no good.

Now I am ready to contact the FTC. Can anyone share with me what steps to follow as well as links to sample letters to start the dispute process?

I must add Experian an Equifax are the only ones giving me trouble. After one followup letter to Transunion the item has already been deleted.

Thanks in advance. I am also posting in the Legal Forum.

www.ftc.gov/complaint

There is also a handy video on their site on how to file your complaint. It comes complete with cartoon characters acting shocked they were scammed or screwed over by a business.

FTC Scam Watch - How to File a Complaint with the Federal Trade Commission

By all means, take the 90 seconds and fill in the blanks on the FTC website to file your complaint. However, the only complaint a credit reporting agency will pay attention too, is one attached to a summons from a Federal Court.

I've filed a complaint before, just for the heck of it. You will get a nice reply that thanks you for your time, concern, and an assurance your complaint will be forwarded to the appropriate department. Then if there are any other questions or information needed you will be contacted. It will come as one of those replies with the do not reply to this message as it won't be read responses.

Do file your complaint, but I think once they get about 25 million on the same business for the same issue, they look into it. In about six years you might get a post card telling you that if you fill out six pages of forms and mail it in you will get $1.12 as your share of a settled class action lawsuit.

Do it. I got a $1.25 two years after joining in against Milli Vanilli, for their fraud by claiming their lyrics were their own. I only had to fill out two forms and then cut out the UPC code from the tape case (back in the good ole Columbia House tape clubs day, so the court had my info as purchasing a tape) then tape the UPC code to the claim form. By God I got my cut of the settlement though. I did have the option of opting out of the settlement and suing myself.

Edited by Coltfan1972

Thank you for the informative an somewhat sarcastic reply. I do tend to enjoy a daily cup of sarcasm with my morning toast.

So, how do I file a lawsuit and what are the costs involved? I am on the tail end of my unemployment so I don't have tons or even a palmful of cash to throw into waging a war with the CRAs.

Where do I find information on filing a suit?

I'm not really concerned about winning a large settlement (although som cash would be great). I just need this item removed from my credit report.

Wish I had gotten in on the Milli Vanilli thing : (

Edited by lmarrie

Federal Court, $350.00 plus serving them. So around 450.00 to do it pro se. In other words, why they do what they do. They know the FTC won't do anything and 99.5% of those that threaten a lawsuit won't follow through. Plus even if you do sue you can bet they will find a back dated response they sent you.

Im in the same boat aswell. I have sent 3 DV letters to LVNV Funding. Two of them came back b/c they did not sighn them. The other one they just handed over to there sister company.Now I get a letter from them saying i have 30 days to resopnd. I filed dipute with all 3 CRAs came backed verfied. Now I sent MOV and they just say we already verfied it. Next step?

Edited by cali11

Next step?

Sometimes you have to rear back and punch the bully right in the face. Just like Ronald Reagan, in 1986 after bombing Libya and Gaddafi, "Today we bombed Libya and spoke the only language Col. Gaddafi seems to understand, and if necessary we will do it again."

Generally speaking, these CA, JDB, and CRA are not going to cave by a complaint or a letter full of threats. You sometimes have to speak the only language they understand. That's a lawsuit where you sue everybody from the secetary to the CEO of the company.

I know a lady that is currently in Federal Court with some of these clowns. She had everybody in the office she had name for served and used John Doe for the ones she did not know and would obtain in discovery. If they touched her file, their name was referenced in a letter, or they left a message on her phone, that person got sued and served.

She sent me an email telling me their atty called the next day and said, "Well you sure got our attention." They offered her everything she wanted in her demands, prior to suit. Her answer was up yours. Last I checked on the case their twelve page motion to dismiss was denied. I read their motion to dismiss. They used the phrase, the Plaintiff has filed a one million dollar shotgun style complaint.

Win or lose her case (and no, nobody, including her, thinks she is getting one million dollars or even close to that), you think the next time she will be blown off and dismissed with a routine go pound sand response. :twisted: