beginning my credit repair adventure question about dv and 30 day period

notgoingdown1

Hello all, Newbie here, just beginning the adventure of credit repair. I have read the stickies for newbies and I am right now waiting on 2 CRA to send my CR via mail. I did however get a copy of one via online. Also I am getting my organization started. In the meantime, I have received two dunning letters in the last two weeks. One of them is a straight up debt collection notice (that I do not recognize the debt to) the other one is a bit bizarre and I'll expand on that in a moment. So the first question is:

Do I go ahead and DV these two CA? Or do I stick to the advice given in the newbie stickies about waiting until I have DV all the TL with the 3 major CRA?

I know I have "30 days" but I do want to get my ducks in a row so to speak.

Now to the bizare "dunning" letter. I am unable to post links at this time, but I am trying to get an image of this letter to load onto this forum for your viewing pleasure but I will start with a discription in the meantime (while my post numbers increase ) :lol:

So this letter says it is from AMEX Travel related services oa special research with an addie in el paso TX. In the left hand top corner it says SPECIAL OFFER . Under this it has AMEX acct ending : xxxxxx and current balance: 2000.00-ish dollars.

"Call to get a gift card & and opportunity to save"

866-xxx-xxxx to take advantage of this offer

dear ME,

We understand that you may be having difficulties paying the past due balance on your AMEX account and we'd like to work with you to come to a solution. that is why I would like to make you and offer that will help you avoid further collections activities on your past due ACCT.

Save a Portion of your past due balance and receive a $100 amex gift card

We would like to speak with you about an opportunity to pay less than your current balance. Plus we'll also give you a $100 grocery or gas gift card-just for calling to set up a payment arrangement.

In order to accept this offer, you must call Firstsource advantage, llc at 866-xxx-xxxx by such and such date. Firstsource advantage llc is ready to help resolve your past due balance and we hope you contact them soon.

sincerely

amex acct services.

it list the phone number a couple more times and that is all. no other information, no mini-miranda etc.

Thoughts?

You said your ordered your reports by mail did you go here? ----> https://www.annualcreditreport.com/cra/index.jsp and get your yearly free reports?

Yes, that is the site I used. With Experian I was able to access it online and print it, but on the other two I guess I failed my own test ? :) so I am waiting on them by mail.

Odd that Amex hasn't sold this account, it is close to SOL. So do I just ignore this letter from the firstsource advantagellc guys?

I am kinda new to this credit repair process myself. But since at the end of the letter it says to contact Firstsource advantage llc wouldn't that mean that they have took over the debt. A quick Google search of them show that they are in fact as CA. I might be wrong here, like I said I am still new to this, but if they are then it might be a good idea to DV them, unless it is almost pass the SoL like 6 months or less.

Yes, that is the site I used. With Experian I was able to access it online and print it, but on the other two I guess I failed my own test ? :) so I am waiting on them by mail.

Odd that Amex hasn't sold this account, it is close to SOL. So do I just ignore this letter from the firstsource advantagellc guys?

How long untill its out of SOL? I have had an account with Midlland that just passed SOL this month. I have been waitng like 2 months for it to ruun out before I DV them. No use opening a can of worms if its close.

It would be nice to know who actually owns the account.

On your credit report does it show American Express? If so does it show charge off or sold anywhere?

On the only copy of my credit report (still waiting for the other two) AMEX has listed the account as "charged off" and that is all. So I am guessing that AMEX still owns the account. Plus I have done further research and it looks like they rarely sell their accounts.

Well after more and more research into the SOL for the state of Oklahoma, I am more confused then when I began. The SOL is 3 years for open ended accounts and 5 years for written agreements. I have yet to find any conclusive data on what exactly the SOL is in regards to CC debt.

Any ideas on where I could find better information on SOL in OK?

Always DV a CA...within 30 days of "first contact".

You "dispute" TLs on your CRs...different process.

And, it looks like the letter you posted is actually from the OC (who you do not DV, because the OC is not covered by the FDCPA). You need to decide if you can afford to take their offer...

So in order for me to decide if I can afford their offer is by calling these firstsource advantage guys or can I call the OC?

Just for reference though, as of this moment in time I am on state aid, a single mom working full time for very little monies. I really can't afford to make many offers, but if I call them to see if they have something reasonable in mind, does this reset the SOL?

Right now I am in the very beginning of my first lawsuit from another CC debt that was sold to JDB, so I am just trying to prepare myself for the "other" ones out there that might come after me sooner or later.