Can you force an account into an opportune moment to dispute?

colin1

The more I learn about the dispute process the more this thought comes to mind.. Can you force an account to kind of go into some sort of grey zone and then take action to dispute the account? for example:

I have a dish network account that I completely forgot about and now it is $762 dollars overdue. They sent it to a collection agency which is now reporting it to the CRAs. I called dish network directly and said I wanted to pay it off BUT I have a receiver I want to turn in for a credit. The credit would be 200 dollars. I want to send a dispute in to the CRAs to dispute the collection amount right when I send in the receiver, which would drop my account balance 200 dollars. I then want to make another payment maybe 5 days later for maybe 40 dollars to continue to pay down this debt and then make small payments every few days to keep my balance fluctuating while the debt is being validated through the CA. Would this kind of timing perhaps cause a mess up/huge delay in debt validation thus forcing the collection to be taken off? Once I see it drop then pay off the debt through the OC in full before it has time to come back?

After thinking about this I thought about many scenarios in which this would be useful. So can anyone weigh in on this?

Edited by colin1

so now I disputed the bill with dish network and they actually knocked off $250 dollars due to a double billing for a receiver. The credit gets applied tomorrow. The receiver I sent in will also deduct an additional $200 once its processed. Don't all these deductions kind of throw the account into a weird place where its difficult for the CA to correctly report what is actually owed? Since I paid dish network directly and the credit that was processed was applied internally at Dish, and the next credit that will take place in about 10-15 days for the additional receiver being mailed to them is also a Dish network credit, isn't the CA now reporting incorrectly?

almost 100 views and no responses, someone chime in here this seems like the perfect storm which you could create on lots of different accounts

Edited by colin1

A CA can only report what has been provided to them by the OC. If you dispute with the CA, they should check out the details with the OC. The CA might not be told about credits that have not been applied yet. Are you trying to figure out a way to sue the CA or get them off your CR? If so, you'd have to show they reported inaccurate information and refused to correct it. I'm no fan of CAs, but the scenario you've suggested would not be the fault of the CA.

Is Dish Network reporting on your CR? If so, I would wait until all the credits with Dish Network have been applied and their entry updated before disputing the CA's entry.

A CA can only report what has been provided to them by the OC. If you dispute with the CA, they should check out the details with the OC. The CA might not be told about credits that have not been applied yet. Are you trying to figure out a way to sue the CA or get them off your CR? If so, you'd have to show they reported inaccurate information and refused to correct it. I'm no fan of CAs, but the scenario you've suggested would not be the fault of the CA.

Is Dish Network reporting on your CR? If so, I would wait until all the credits with Dish Network have been applied and their entry updated before disputing the CA's entry.

The prime objective is to get it off my report. Dish told me that the credits take 24 hours to apply to the account. The collection agency I spoke to said I owed the same amount to me 2 days after the credit was applied.

Only the collection agency is reporting, not Dish. I called the CA the other day after Dish network had applied their internal credit for a receiver I never had, and the CA still was telling me I owed the same amount. I am sure they are verifying the amount now since I called about it, but the amount is going to change again because I just sent out another receiver I actually did have, which will credit the account yet again and change the amount. I also make a post-dated payment that will credit 4 days after the receiver I sent out credit to my account. All these credits I'm talking about are being credited DIRECTLY TO THE OC, NOT THE CA.

The big question I have here is a more broad one - I want to know if 1. situations like the one I've mentioned above are excellent times to dispute since the amount is fluctuating constantly and 2. If they are, couldn't you kind of create a situation like the one mentioned above on purpose in order to make a debt much harder to verify?

Edited by colin1

The prime objective is to get it off my report. Dish told me that the credits take 24 hours to apply to the account. The collection agency I spoke to said I owed the same amount to me 2 days after the credit was applied.

Only the collection agency is reporting, not Dish. I called the CA the other day after Dish network had applied their internal credit for a receiver I never had, and the CA still was telling me I owed the same amount. I am sure they are verifying the amount now since I called about it, but the amount is going to change again because I just sent out another receiver I actually did have, which will credit the account yet again and change the amount. I also make a post-dated payment that will credit 4 days after the receiver I sent out credit to my account. All these credits I'm talking about are being credited DIRECTLY TO THE OC, NOT THE CA.

The big question I have here is a more broad one - I want to know if 1. situations like the one I've mentioned above are excellent times to dispute since the amount is fluctuating constantly and 2. If they are, couldn't you kind of create a situation like the one mentioned above on purpose in order to make a debt much harder to verify?

I understand what you're getting at. When you spoke to the CA, they obviously had not spoken to Dish. Dish needs to inform the CA that the amount owed has changed. In any case, if the CA verifies a wrong amount because the OC didn't inform them of any credits, that's not the CA's fault. They can simply update their entry the next month.

An entry is usually removed from your CR because the furnisher of the entry refuses to make a correction. Once Dish has applied all your credits, then dispute the CA's entry with the credit reporting agencies.