Sallie Mae, 90 days late billing error dispute

VExclusive201

I recently sent a dispute letter to Sallie Mae for a 90 days late as of Feb 2008.

My letter stated that Sallie Mae was sending statements to a billing address I no longer lived at and that I had updated my address prior to statement dates thru my school. I was unaware that Sallie Mae was issuing statements until a customer service representative called me via telephone and at that time I immediately made a payment. Because the late payments were due to a billing error to please remove the information.

I enclosed copies of my credit report, Sallie Mae account transaction history and Sallie Mae current account summary.

I received a letter back stating, the information was correct and no corrections were warranted. If I still feel the information is incorrect to send additional information and further research will be conducted.

I have no proof I changed my address, but I was able to get the old address removed from my credit report after Sallie Mae's response.

Will this be enough for an appeal?

Unfortunately no. As far as loan servicers go, they hold the belief that it is the responsibility of the borrower to update all information as it changes. Updating with the school would not qualify since you don't know if the school and servicer are still communicating about your status.

It would probably be best to dispute the report with the credit bereau. You have a better chance of them dismissing the mark due to the mix up than Sallie Mae changing their reporting, so I would try that.

Thanks I'll try that, it stinks because I really never received the mail and the address they had on file isn't associated with my drivers license, taxes, or work pay stubs. I was going to call Sallie Mae Monday and see what information they would like to see. The first statement I ever received from them is in April.