Good Idea: Occupy the credit bureaus

So, over the last year, I've seen so many people with egregious errrors on their credit reports.

After all of this Occupy Wall Street and its related calls to action, why DON'T people occupy their credit reports?? As in -- encourage others to exercise their rights to debt validation and proper account reporting on their credit reports?

Personally, I think this would be a HUGE motivator to get the bureaus to correctly report the financial data that impacts almost every consumer's life. Of course, the people on this forum, we're all kind of already occupying the credit bureaus, but I'm thinking of this on a larger scale.

A flood of consumers disputing inquiries, challenging the Junk Debt Buying/Collections industry would be a hugely effective means of activism and a means toward fighting back against the egregious abuses of process in the courts by these companies.

• 3 weeks later...

I can tell you from experience. I lobby for Veterans rights, and for medicaid rehabilitation(the rehab of the medicaid and for rights on other issues.)

I have sen how our politicians hear those that lobby but do not really hear what we have to say.

The only problems I see with walks, marches and sit ins like these is the people have the right to protest as long as the correct legal papers are filed and the action is peaceful.

But there are so many people that can not control themselves and keep it peaceful. And law enforcement knows that by showing up and just being present they can draw someone out who will act out and ruin it for the whole bunch.

Until we as people can learn to march and lobby and keep the movement peaceful, we will never have what we have to say be heard.

I don't think MehtaMar was talking about marches and sit-ins. I think he was just being facetious.

After all of this Occupy Wall Street and its related calls to action, why DON'T people occupy their credit reports?? As in -- encourage others to exercise their rights to debt validation and proper account reporting on their credit reports?

Will never work. People love to rant and rave and then very few want to really do anything. I get PM all the time from people asking for some advice or help. When I direct them to a source or ask follow up questions, 90% never hear from them again. I love to help but you must have some basic info. It's not a one size fits all. If it requires follow up, generally speaking, their not interested.

What they are really saying is, hey can you write me a dispute letter or answer this discovery for me. Sometimes just a simple question of are you in state circuit/superior or small claims and is too much trouble to get the information.

Fighting creditors, collection agencies, and junk debt buyers take time, effort, and leg work. Most people are not interested in that. Just look at how many posters post on different forums and once they get the answer they don't like they either go away or try to argue how unfair something is, but don't want to follow up to change that.

I also agree with the other poster about standing in front of a building for something like this. For what? I'm guilty in the insurance business for sure. Somebody says I'm suing your company or filing a complaint with the dept of insurance? My answer was let me get you their number, address, email, and direct you online to download the complaint forms and get your case ID. Why? Because your not really going to follow through and your just going to hang up the phone and call somebody else and see if you can intimidate them to get what you want. Your going to scream and make threats and then do nothing. I know that and you know that.

Then even if you do file the complaint, we will respond with a rebuttal requesting a ton more information. At that point you will talk about how big insurance companies just operate basically unregulated (very true) and tell us your going to tell everybody you know how sorry and unfair we are. Then after 30 days the insurance dept will close the file and we never hear from you again. Change the policy and way of doing business? Hell no, why?

Now the very, very, very, rare time one does start working through the system and they are not going away, watch out, and watch how much money is thrown at them to go away.

Very few people that spill hot coffee on themselves are going to go through the time, work, and years of litigation to get McDonalds to cut them a check for 750K for a hot cup of coffee.

And now the selfish side. I would love for people to do what your advising and make a difference, but they won't. So in all honesty, that's good for me. Because I will do something about it and I will fight. It take almost a split second for me to get my way or get a creditor to back down, espicially, since I have sued before and am now on the "list" that is sold to creditors. It only makes sense. If everybody fought back then they would not be so quick to make things go away. Sounds bad I know, but those that do nothing but gripe actually help those that will take action.

• 2 weeks later...
Will never work. People love to rant and rave and then very few want to really do anything. I get PM all the time from people asking for some advice or help. When I direct them to a source or ask follow up questions, 90% never hear from them again. I love to help but you must have some basic info. It's not a one size fits all. If it requires follow up, generally speaking, their not interested.

What they are really saying is, hey can you write me a dispute letter or answer this discovery for me. Sometimes just a simple question of are you in state circuit/superior or small claims and is too much trouble to get the information.

Fighting creditors, collection agencies, and junk debt buyers take time, effort, and leg work. Most people are not interested in that. Just look at how many posters post on different forums and once they get the answer they don't like they either go away or try to argue how unfair something is, but don't want to follow up to change that.

I also agree with the other poster about standing in front of a building for something like this. For what? I'm guilty in the insurance business for sure. Somebody says I'm suing your company or filing a complaint with the dept of insurance? My answer was let me get you their number, address, email, and direct you online to download the complaint forms and get your case ID. Why? Because your not really going to follow through and your just going to hang up the phone and call somebody else and see if you can intimidate them to get what you want. Your going to scream and make threats and then do nothing. I know that and you know that.

Then even if you do file the complaint, we will respond with a rebuttal requesting a ton more information. At that point you will talk about how big insurance companies just operate basically unregulated (very true) and tell us your going to tell everybody you know how sorry and unfair we are. Then after 30 days the insurance dept will close the file and we never hear from you again. Change the policy and way of doing business? Hell no, why?

Now the very, very, very, rare time one does start working through the system and they are not going away, watch out, and watch how much money is thrown at them to go away.

Very few people that spill hot coffee on themselves are going to go through the time, work, and years of litigation to get McDonalds to cut them a check for 750K for a hot cup of coffee.

And now the selfish side. I would love for people to do what your advising and make a difference, but they won't. So in all honesty, that's good for me. Because I will do something about it and I will fight. It take almost a split second for me to get my way or get a creditor to back down, espicially, since I have sued before and am now on the "list" that is sold to creditors. It only makes sense. If everybody fought back then they would not be so quick to make things go away. Sounds bad I know, but those that do nothing but gripe actually help those that will take action.

You're probably right on a lot of these points.

However, I think there's a unique moment here in society where many more people are interested and have the tools and skills to start doing small basic game-changing things like... request debt validation and contacting their representatives.

So many people have been abused by banks, lenders, and later, JDBs that I think it wouldn't take a whole lot of nudging to get people to act - to start writing those letters, start their disputes.

Still, regardless of success, the momentum of the any such "Occupy the Credit Bureaus" action would help bring to light a lot more solutions for debtors that they could use to fight their own cases and help themselves. Even if a low number of people start fighting back, in the long run, its their experiences that they will share with other people. If it results in people divesting themselves of the big banks in favor of credit unions, great. If it results in JDB's operating in a more ethical manner, great. If just the threat of an "Occupy" interaction causes some to contact their reps about better consumer financial protections, awesome.

It takes the sum of a great many small actions to effect wider change in the long run.

I don't advocate for protesting in front of their building. Unless it involves the embarassing TransUnion holiday party photos. That right there is awesome and worthy of a full color billboard.