letter from utility bill after dispute

jbthumper

I disputed a negative tradeline on my report, it came back verified and I sent Arizona Public Services a MOV letter. This is their response( I shorted it)

On April 03, 2007 at 12:41pm a caller named (ex girlfriend) telephoned APS to request service at the above address in the names of (ex girlfriend) and me. APS took appropriate information at that time to assure that we were dealing with the Customer of record. APS advised that no deposit would be required. Service began April 30, 2007 until November 05, 2007, when new party took responsibility. Final bill was issued on November 05, 2007.

APS does not require a signed contract to connect service. The connect was in accordance to Schedule #1, Terms and Conditions for Standard offer and direct services for Arizona Public Service Company, Section 2, 2.1.1 which are the guidelines under which APS operates and which are approved by the Arizona Corporation Commission.

APS had every reason to believe that we were dealing with both of you. We hold both of you equally responsible for the bill and look to you for payment........

Can they do this? I mean I never set anything up with them and never contacted them for this. If fact this collection came out of no where as her and I broke up a long time ago. What else can I do? I disputed thru the CRA's and it came back verified. I know the SOL is up but I want it off my report

APS had every reason to believe that we were dealing with both of you. We hold both of you equally responsible for the bill and look to you for payment

Joint and several liability.

Can they do this?

Their doing it. The better question is if they are wrong what are you going to do about it.

I mean I never set anything up with them and never contacted them for this.

They are claiming joint and several liability.

What else can I do?

A. Nothing

B. Gripe and then nothing

C. File some worthless agency complaints

D. Idol threats with no follow up

E. Call the Attorney General and then wonder why nothing happened

F. Research the issue, including getting specific dates you were or were not at the residence. Research the regulation(s) they quoted in their letter and see if they are truly applicable for this specific type of case/dispute. Obtain documentation that would support you were not a party to the transcation (I.E. maybe a bill with your name and different address). Follow up per the FCRA with another dispute (maybe 623 method). Send a certified letter with all your findings, your position on the matter, what you want to happen, and what will happen if your demands are not met. Then sue when your demands are not met.

Just from my experience in talking with people and reading message boards, the order seems to go-

B,A,D,E,C,F

I disputed thru the CRA's and it came back verified.

Right, they have stated their position and right or wrong they are going to stick with it, at least at this time. They can be dead wrong 100%, but if they draw their line in the sand, so be it. The next move will have to be yours.

I know the SOL is up

100% positive? Not saying it's not. Sometimes the SOL is not as cut and dry as it appears.

I want it off my report

That's why they have it on there and are not taking it off. Of course you want it off, that is the whole reason it's on there. Them putting it on there does not mean they get paid. You being deseprate to get it off means they might get paid.