UPS Store / PO Boxes / Prepaid Cell Phone OK for Credit Repair?

The_Surgeon

I have read in a few places that the CRA's will want you to include a utility bill to verify your identity during disputes, or while doing the MOV/reinvestigation process.

Is that totally necessary? My wife and I are moving to a new address in the next 4 months and I wanted to get a mailing address at a UPS Store for all of this credit repair we are doing. This is too much work to risk having stuff get lost in the mail during our move.

I was thinking of providing the CRAs with our Social Security numbers, Driver's License, Passport, and a copy of the contract with the UPS Store.

Oh and one more thing we got an AT&T GoPhone which is a pre-paid cell phone for this process. We figure if we are going to get the attention of a bunch of debt collectors it would be nice for them to call that phone instead of our normal cell phones.

Does anyone see a downside to using a 2nd cell phone for all of our credit repair needs?

Please advise and thanks.

downside...no. But couldn't you just get yourself a google voice number? It's a number that folks can reach you at that is FORWARDED to your REAL number.

So if I had a google voice number of (206) 285-9872, but I had a REAL number that is different...I would give out my google number to people I wanted to have it, and then you can turn off or change the google number anytime. I think it's cheaper than the prepaid cell, too.

Thanks. I guess the UPS thing would be a waste of time. All of the CRA/CA's know my current address anyways at this point. Unfortunately I already have the prepaid cell phone, but I will definitely keep the Google idea in mind. That would have been a more cost-effective solution.

My best advice is a UPS Store. They aren't anywhere near $200 a year, and they do give you a street address that looks like an apartment address. I have never had any OC / CRA / CA call me out otherwise.

For example your UPS Store box address would be something to this effect:

John Smith

1212 Main Street, #B-219

Los Angeles, CA 90001

...No one is going to know that is a box at a UPS store. You could even use an old utility bill or some old ID to set up your UPS box with an old address in the event a collection agency is attempting to track you down. For legal reasons the UPS store must verify your address, but the verification is weak, and can be circumvented.

After giving it some thought and listening to the responses in this thread I have decided to use my home address when dealing with CRA's, but use my UPS store address when dealing with CA and OC's. For the small cost it will be nice to have some buffer between them, and my wife and I. There is only two creditors that can actually do anything about the debts to begin with in court, but I figure my negotiating position is better if it would be difficult to serve me.

Hope that helps.

If your correct address in on your CR the creditors will have it anyway. Not that it necessarily is an advantage to them. In my case they pulled my CR, dug up an OLD address at a house I sold in 1989, and produced a "current" statement with that address on it trying to prove account stated.