DV response requests additional information

I sent a DV letter to a CA last week, and got a response in the mail today. They said that they couldn't find a related account in their computer system and requested more information.

My initial reaction is that this is absurd. They pulled my credit report a while back and have all my current contact info. They are continuing to call me, though I haven't spoken to them, I just let them leave messages on my answering machine.

What am I to make of this? Should I respond at all?

Did you identify the account in your validation request? If so, let them continue to play their games while you locate an attorney.

I didn't. They never told me what account they were trying to collect for. They never sent a dunning letter, and I don't talk to them on the phone, so I have no idea what they are even trying to collect for.

But, since they did pull my credit report, they have my name, birthday, current and previous addresses, and telephone number. Searching a database isn't rocket science, so I have a hard time believing they couldn't find me in their computer.

I didn't. They never told me what account they were trying to collect for. They never sent a dunning letter, and I don't talk to them on the phone, so I have no idea what they are even trying to collect for.

But, since they did pull my credit report, they have my name, birthday, current and previous addresses, and telephone number. Searching a database isn't rocket science, so I have a hard time believing they couldn't find me in their computer.

If they have your phone number and called you, they can find your records. Have they left any messages?

I sent a DV letter to a CA last week, and got a response in the mail today. They said that they couldn't find a related account in their computer system and requested more information.

Good. If they sue you, will you be so kind to let me know when and in what court. I'd love to be watching when you produce this letter. I can only see it now. They have their "custodian of the records" on the stand going over in great detail your account.

Then on cross you ask that witness to please read the highlighted portion of this letter. :evil:

That reminds me of the time this JDB tried to say I entered into a settlement with them and that was the reason for more letters. Then in discovery they said I called them on September 21th and made the agreement to start paying 200/month with first payment due on October 20th. Then if payments were made there would be no interest, fees, and 2K knocked off the balance.

Not one of the other sides shinning moments when an letter from their attorney dated October 17th was produced. In the letter it says, our client seeks a voluntary resolution and to please contact the atty office to discuss a settlement agreement and possible lump sum discount as interest was being charged everyday. OOPPS :twisted:

If they have your phone number and called you, they can find your records. Have they left any messages?

Yes, they have left messages and are using my full name, so they know who I am.

At this point, I'm thinking I'll just ignore the letter and let them continue to call.

I had a JDB send me one of those information forms once... and replied with an FDCPA suit a couple of weeks later...

It's a deceptive way to get personal info like bank accounts, real estate, employment info, etc.

The JDB settled within a few weeks of my filing - $1k for the violation, $350 for my filing fee.

Yes, they have left messages and are using my full name, so they know who I am.

At this point, I'm thinking I'll just ignore the letter and let them continue to call.

I agree with 1stStep. Save the messages. Their letter was a bunch of bull. I'd either be drafting an ITS or looking for an attorney.