Huge credit card mix up at Sears.

BTO429

I went to Sears a couple of days ago and filled out an ap for a Sears in store card. I was approved and the associate gave me the receipt with temporary number with a bar code.

I went and bought a few things for Christmas and spent about 200 dollars.

I went back today to get a few more things for Xmas. When I wen to the check out they asked for id. When I gave them my id the cashier showed me the receipt for the credit card I received the day before.

At the very bottom of this receipt and temporary card number is another persons name. So I told the cashier what happened and she called the manager. She called several numbers and was told that there is no account record in my name.

So they searched for the other persons name and no account was found. They tried using my ssn and still no record was found for a CC in my name.

The receipts I got from Sears shows the account number and customer number with my name. I also still have the CC agreement that I signed.

What I cant figure out is every thing in the receipts reflect my name even the account number on the receipt.

But at the very bottom of the receipt for the cc approval is another persons name. But Sears can not find an account number, even when they looked up the account number on the receipt, they say they can not find an account in my name or the other persons name. But yet the account worked the day I was approved.

I am trying to figure out if Sears could be held liable for anything that they could be sued for. I do not plan to file a suit but if Sears does I will counter with what ever I can figure out if anything at all.

My question, since I have a cc agreement that has my signature and a reference number that can be traced to the account number on paper, even though their computers do not show it so they say, is that a breach of contract?

I just don't want to wake up one morning with a fraud suit from sears, that is my biggest concern. Or the other person sues me for it.

Or my ssn get screwed up with the other persons name and what little credit I have gets screwed up again.

Probably a clerical error, but if it causes problems, they'll blame you for it. I'd be very firm about getting it straightened out now instead of when the real problems start. A Sears credit card that wound up with the wrong person's name (the brother of the actual CC holder) is the reason that there is now a tort in NM called Tortious Debt Collection. Funny thing is, I grew up about a block away from a relative of the brothers.

yes I did buy a few things. I have talked with the loss prevention people and the store manager about this.

They sent everything to corporate and I am expecting a call from them in a few days. The store manager said no matter what the outcome she will give me a gift card to cover what I purchased for the inconvenience it has caused me.

The funniest thing is when I called citi bank, the issuer of sears cards, and HSBC, the other issuer, they both said they see no record at all that I have ever applied for a cc. I think they realized there is a mistake and are trying to cover their tails.

I have the credit ap that I signed and cash register receipts and store management docs that the manager give me copies of that show where I applied and was approved, the store manager just can't figure out hoe the other persons name was printed on my receipt.

What I don't understand is why they don't just cancel that card and issue you a new card. Then that other person won't be able to charge using your number and they can just cancel that number and issue you a new card with your charges on them. Seems like they are making a mountain out of a mole hill.

What I don't understand is why they don't just cancel that card and issue you a new card. Then that other person won't be able to charge using your number and they can just cancel that number and issue you a new card with your charges on them. Seems like they are making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Maybe it isn't what is going on here, but the attitude that it is better to blame and deny than to fix the damned problem seems to be pretty prevalent these days.

Most likely the person entering the OP's original social security number entered it wrong andit was that other's person's and so the card was issued to him instead of the OP. But OP signs all the documentation and the sales person is too dumb to notice. Sales person doesn't want to take the blame so they are blaming it on some glitch and pretending to look into it. creeps. just cancel card and issue new one.

I don't think the Gunny's on that path yet...I think he's wondering how he can apply for and be given credit, then nobody have records of it.

And he doesn't want to get burned over their mistake. Seriously, when a mixup over a Sears credit card led to a new tort in my state, there is legitimate reason to be concerned.

And what will you do when the bill is due? How can you pay on the bill if they can't locate it?

At the same time, if you don't pay on the bill, at some point, Sears will uncover their error and come rushing out of the closet with machine guns blazing for their money which has now mushroomed to $2,000.

If it were me, I would copy everything I had that referenced me opening that account and send it via CMRRR to the CEO of Sears.

I've found that when you have a problem with a company, someone from the office of the CEO or President ALWAYS responds. And send a few copies around to some Senior VPs. Covers your butt.

I had an incident with Sears years ago where I parked in their loading zone waiting for a chair to be brought downstairs. For some stupid reason, their loading zone was in a fire lane - hence no parking. While inside, I got a ticket. I eventually notified the CEO in writing and received a check for the ticket plus a $50.00 gift certificate.

Yeras ago I had a problem with Sears. Their delivery truck pulled up in front of my house, the driver looked at his paperwork, then drove off. Here I was with a disconnected fridge with all the food on the counter. I called Sears Tower and got a customer relations guy. I told him what would happen if the driver didn't come back. Ten minutes later, he was back with the new fridge. Go right to the top. They will wreak havoc on store employees who force customers to go this high. Wouldn't you? The Gunny isn't trying to make trouble, he's trying to AVOID trouble. Anybody who knows anything about the Marines knows this is the case.