Attorney called me today

How would I go about getting a debt validated if a JDB hires an attorneys office to collect a debt? The attorney refuses to give me addresses of the JDB and states I cannot contact them because he is representing them and the only thing he "Legally" needs to send is a letter stating the debt, debt amount and original creditor on his letterhead. If this is the case, then how can the debt be validated? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

How would I go about getting a debt validated if a JDB hires an attorneys office to collect a debt? The attorney refuses to give me addresses of the JDB and states I cannot contact them because he is representing them and the only thing he "Legally" needs to send is a letter stating the debt, debt amount and original creditor on his letterhead. If this is the case, then how can the debt be validated? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

As poorly as he conveyed the information, that's pretty much it. Tell him to do what he's "legally" obligated to do.

Just go through the process. With that minimal information, determine what form of dispute you have. For example if it identifies a creditor you have never done business with, state that. If all it names is the JDB, then state that you are not aware of any standing by the JDB in this matter and therefore the matter is in dispute. If they name an OC, is it one you have done business with? If so, still state that you have no business with the JDB and have seen nothing to indicate that you have.

Maybe the attorney won't sue. Sometimes that happens (they use attorneys sometimes just to scare people). But there's a good chance he will sue. If you don't mind being sued (e.g. ready to defend and counter attack) then just C&D (the attorney is merely a debt collector until the suit is filed).

He will have to name the JDB at some point or else you can simply claim "I have never done business with John Doe". Post the name and someone here likely has all the info on them down to the CEO's cell phone.

If it goes to court, there's lots of means to get lots of information. It can be scary, but they are under the gun, too.

And from this point on, do all communication in writing, sent CMRRR.

Validation is minimal you get very little information. that said its important to request validation and also if you want to tell them not to call you, since this attorney likes to call and talk I highly recommend that you record the calls if it is legal in your state.

My experience is that the collector will violate the FDCPA so I would suggest getting familiar with what the violations are and when you can document them get a consumer attorney and sue him.

I've had 5 FDCPA suits settle this year, there are so many ways they can violate, and most don't care because not following the law pays well for them and the ones like us that sue are such a small percentage that they can pay us all off and still make buckets of profit.

... and most don't care because not following the law pays well for them and the ones like us that sue are such a small percentage that they can pay us all off and still make buckets of profit.

Exactly! Hypothetical numbers ... say a CA knowingly and willingly violates the law. It drives up their collection rate to the tune of another $500,000 a year. A few people sue them and they expend $1500 in legal costs (on staff attorneys and bulk contract are cheap on their end) and $1000 in judgment payout per person. It would take 200 such suits against them to lose all the advantage of violating the law. Do you think there anywhere close to that number of FDCPA suits going on? (Really, I don't know how many ... might be nice to know).

According to Webrecon, there's been about 11,000 FDCPA suits filed this year throughout the county.

I can name one law firm that files cases at a rate of about 12,000 CC cases per year in my state alone. That doesn't count the pre-lawsuit collections that they engage in and then there are other attorneys and other collection agencies in the state on top of that. My state has about 2,000,000 in it. The US population is well over 300,000,000. 11,000 FDCPA cases is nothing if an extrapolation of those numbers is even within an order of magnitude of how much debt collection is going on in the country.

Which county is that? Or did you mean country?

I'd like to know the total judgments and total collections of those judgments per year.

That's 11,000 in ALL of the Federal district courts... about 0.003% of the population fighting back - sad really...

but like some one posted, it's a numbers game more than anything...

I'd say 90% of the cases filed settle well in advance of trial. I've sued 5 CAs this year alone, 4 settled within a few weeks of my filing - the other one is gonna get interesting...

I received the so called DV letter from the attorney which was more a demand for payment. It is from QAR, LLC not an attorneys office and the letter wasn't even signed.

It has:

Original ID # of ...........,

"Originator: Blaze Capital Prefered" (preferred spelled wrong)

Total Balance with Interest ; $595.54.

This is a demand for payment of the original debt incurred by you as identified above. This office has been assigned this account for recovery as per the terms of contract with the originator.

Your past due contract is currently being reviewed for collections by this office. If you choose to resolve this matter voluntarily, you may take one of the following actions.

Pay the balance in full with certified funds

Contact this office to make acceptable payment arrangements

If you choose to do none of these things, this office will without further notice declare the entire balance due with interest and proceed accordingly.

Then it states the laws.... 30 days to .....

The guy "attorney" who called said that he was representing MetaBlaze Visa Account, then it was QAR who bought MedaBlaze, now it is Blaze Capital Prefered??? This whole thing smells of rotten fish so I bought an audio recorder for the next time he calls. :)

My response to their legally minimum validation:

Having received your answer to my request for validation of this alleged debt, I take note that your have provided only a minimum legally mandated response. This minimal response is deemed to mean you have no intention to provide any real proof of this debt and it is hereby disputed in its entirety. I therefore determine that nothing is owed to you whatsoever and demand that you cease all communication in any form in accordance with FDCPA 1692C©. Any further attempt to collect this alleged debt will be considered a violation of law and will result in appropriate legal steps taken against you.