Which pepper spray?

Goldbug

I am looking for pepper spray to keep around the house for a "less lethal" option for self defense, child discipline, training the puppy, etc. This is supposed to be a good product, but the reviews are mixed. What do you think?

Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Defense Technology 56895 MK-9 Stream, 1.3% Red Band/1.3% Blue Band Pepper Spray

I used to carry Spitfire. It didn't have the range, but you didn't have to aim it either. I need to get another because that's not all I carry. If you carry a firearm on a regular basis, you had damn well better carry something like pepper spray. The last thing you want is to be in a streefight with a gun on your hip, and some people just won't back off.

I used to carry Spitfire. It didn't have the range, but you didn't have to aim it either. I need to get another because that's not all I carry. If you carry a firearm on a regular basis, you had damn well better carry something like pepper spray. The last thing you want is to be in a streefight with a gun on your hip, and some people just won't back off.

Concealed FTW!

Of course that doesn't work so easily in the hot summer.

Concealed or not, a street fight is a bad idea with a firearm on your person. I just happen to carry on my hip and under my shirt ;)

Let me give you an anecdote from before I decided that pepper spray was a good idea:

I was on the way to a friend's house for a bbq, and I decided that I wanted a coke on the way up. As I'm pulling in to a gas station in what is actually a decent area, I see this guy walking across the street to an apartment complex. I go in, get my stuff and walk out and BAM! He's right there asking me for some money. One of the first things that just about anybody would notice about this guy is how well the scars from cigarette burns on his neck went with the gang tats.

I used one simple word: NO

Then he started following about 18" behind me. I get to my vehicle and he starts cussing at me: "F you, get the f out of my way." Then he walked about another 20 or 30 feet, stopped and turned around and started coming toward me. "F you, I'll f you up, f you..." At this point, he was also lifting his shirt up. The thing that goes through my mind when he does that is "weapon." So, I start drawing to shoot this guy when he realizes what I'm doing and stops dead in his tracks about 10' from me. He stopped about the time I had my shirt up and hand on the pistol.

I kept on tell him to "get back." I only used three words out of my vocabulary with this guy throughout the entire encounter. No and get and back.

Now, I have this guy who knows I'm armed standing there still cussing at me telling me to pull it. What an idiot. If I pull the gun, I'm pulling the trigger. None the less, he stopped and I would not have been justified in shooting him for standing there daring me to shoot him. Does he have a weapon? I don't know, but at that point, if he came at me again, I would have been in a bad situation. Do I shoot and risk homicide charges? Or do I risk having my gun taken away from me and used against me?

If I'd had pepper spray that day, it would have ended real quick. Two or three steps with the spray in one hand and he would have been crying and choking.

FYI, I attract that kind of attention for some reason, but only when I'm in a decent area. I go into the war zone and they just figure I'm ready and leave me alone.

Concealed or not, a street fight is a bad idea with a firearm on your person. I just happen to carry on my hip and under my shirt ;)

Let me give you an anecdote from before I decided that pepper spray was a good idea:

I was on the way to a friend's house for a bbq, and I decided that I wanted a coke on the way up. As I'm pulling in to a gas station in what is actually a decent area, I see this guy walking across the street to an apartment complex. I go in, get my stuff and walk out and BAM! He's right there asking me for some money. One of the first things that just about anybody would notice about this guy is how well the scars from cigarette burns on his neck went with the gang tats.

I used one simple word: NO

Then he started following about 18" behind me. I get to my vehicle and he starts cussing at me: "F you, get the f out of my way." Then he walked about another 20 or 30 feet, stopped and turned around and started coming toward me. "F you, I'll f you up, f you..." At this point, he was also lifting his shirt up. The thing that goes through my mind when he does that is "weapon." So, I start drawing to shoot this guy when he realizes what I'm doing and stops dead in his tracks about 10' from me. He stopped about the time I had my shirt up and hand on the pistol.

I kept on tell him to "get back." I only used three words out of my vocabulary with this guy throughout the entire encounter. No and get and back.

Now, I have this guy who knows I'm armed standing there still cussing at me telling me to pull it. What an idiot. If I pull the gun, I'm pulling the trigger. None the less, he stopped and I would not have been justified in shooting him for standing there daring me to shoot him. Does he have a weapon? I don't know, but at that point, if he came at me again, I would have been in a bad situation. Do I shoot and risk homicide charges? Or do I risk having my gun taken away from me and used against me?

If I'd had pepper spray that day, it would have ended real quick. Two or three steps with the spray in one hand and he would have been crying and choking.

FYI, I attract that kind of attention for some reason, but only when I'm in a decent area. I go into the war zone and they just figure I'm ready and leave me alone.

That guy probably noticed your rig and since he didn't have one wanted yours. I think your right pepper spray was a better option calling the police from inside the store also would have been good also. The guy seems like he would do the same thing again so the police need to know.

pepper spray available at most gun stores.

I am looking for pepper spray to keep around the house for a "less lethal" option for self defense, child discipline, training the puppy, etc. This is supposed to be a good product, but the reviews are mixed. What do you think?
Wow. I could see having it at the house for personal protection, but not for the uses you listed!!

Man, I thought I was being tough making my 20 month old daugher sit on the step for 2 minutes. Yikes! :cool:

Wow. I could see having it at the house for personal protection, but not for the uses you listed!!

Man, I thought I was being tough making my 20 month old daugher sit on the step for 2 minutes. Yikes!

A friend of mine says it's also a medical breakthrough. His wife suffered with recurring "headaches" for years. One application of Defense Technology 56895 MK-9 Stream, 1.3% Red Band/1.3% Blue Band Pepper Spray and the "headaches" were a thing of the past! A miracle!!

As a bonus, the wife's new orange coloration reminded him of his favorite TV show, "Jersey Shore".

And, it's a food product, essentially, according to Megyn Kelly on FOX News. Supposed to be a great addition to the kitchen!

Certainly pepper spray would be a big plus to have. Just saying that if you have the gun, concealed is better. If you (even accidentally) give away that you are armed that changes things (sometimes for the better and sometimes for the worst).

Winter (at least for northerners) clothing can help keep it concealed. But that's also a giveaway in the summer (and so uncomfortable).

I'd certainly like the pepper spray that can spritz up Mexican, Chinese, or Indian food.