Novice Pro Se Question

So I filed my complaint and sent it & the summons to the county sheriff to be served. Defendant does business in a different county than mine, but I have delivery confirmation that the sheriff received it on November 28, which was a Monday. I called the sheriff that Friday and asked if the complaint had been served and was told it hadn't. I haven't called them back yet bc I don't want them to think I'm being a pest or that I am just stupid.

Which leads me to my question... Does the court notify you when your complaint and summons is actually served? Also, since the sheriff is serving it, do I have to file a COS? I've read the RCP's til I'm cross-eyed and can't find an answer to these questions, but maybe I'm overlooking the answers. So, I'm asking for some clarification on how the process of service works...

Thanks in advance.

Guest usctrojanalum

Typically, law allows time for papers to be served. In some states it is as much as 120 days. If the law allows someone 120 days to do something, it is human nature for them not to drop everything they are doing and serve it in the first week unless you paid extra for expedited service. I would check how much time Arkansas allows for the service of process. If you see that it is 3 months or so, do not expect it to be done within 3 weeks.

It's 120 days in Arkansas.

If your using the Sheriff then they will get to it when they are good and ready. If you use a private process server you can get it done the next day or sooner. I paid one an extra $25.00 to have the person served the same day I filed the lawsuit. The Sheriff will make the same amount no matter what so they will get to it when their schedule will allow.

Send, fax, or email a copy to the person or business your suing. They just might see that it is a matter of time before they are served and get the ball rolling before being served.

Hey, I resemble that remark. Al Jolson was the world's greatest entertainer from 1915 to 1950. He still outsells a lot of modern day performers. In 1946, Larry Parks starred as Al in "The Jolson Story." The movie did record business and got several academy awards. In 1949, they made a sequel, "Jolson Sings Again." Parks had his career ended the next year when it was discovered that he had been a member of the Communist party as a youth.

Parks "lip synched" the songs, which were all redone by Al himself. The two movies caused a tremendous resurgence in Al's career, especially in records and radio. He died in 1950. He was the first performer to go overseas during two wars. He contracted malaria in WW2, which resulted in the removal of a lung and recurring health problems which ultimately killed him. Both movies are available on Ebay etc, they are great entertainment. They are also in sections on youtube.