Why is there nothing about credit repair companies?

coffeeboy

I do understand that one can can (and maybe should) do credit repair themselves. But I was interested in seeing if any credit repair companies are reliable. I am not sure I have what it takes to do this by myself. If there are companies that really work, I am interested in hearing about them. Thanks, this is my first post. :)

I have been researching them for weeks. I don't believe they are all scams. I have checked a few out that are with the BBB. I have read through other forums and have never heard they work with collectors before, however I am sure there are tons of scams and ones that do work wtih collections.

Several years ago a mortgage broker sent my ex and I to a "credit repair" person to get a few things cleaned up on our credit report. The fee for the service was $650. As we were trying to get qualified for a house at the time, we spent the money. 2 years later absolutely nothing had been accomplished. All he had done was file disputes with the CRAs and everything came back verified and that was it.

I did more myself in the first 3-4 months after finding this site - for free - than the credit repair guy did in 2 years. I managed about a 40 point increase in my score in those months, and another 40 points in the 9 months since.

IMHO you can do a better job yourself. Like the saying goes, if you want something done right then do it yourself. It does take some work, but it isn't that much work and it isn't difficult.

I have been researching them for weeks. I don't believe they are all scams. I have checked a few out that are with the BBB. I have read through other forums and have never heard they work with collectors before, however I am sure there are tons of scams and ones that do work wtih collections.
Having worked for the BBB, I can tell you that their concern is in protecting the reputation of their members...not in protecting the interest of the consumer. To be a "member" of the BBB, all you have to do is pay their yearly fee...ethics has nothing to do with it.

And, I didn't say debt fixer work with CAs....I said they ARE CAs. They get paid in one of two ways (even the "non profit" ones)...they collect a fee from you, or thet get a percentage of what they "recover" from the creditor. Some do both.

If you don't want to write letters and or dispute online etc.. you could pay the folks who sponsor this site and send you a pop up whenever you log in.. lexington law. Skyblue is another one that's the same. They basically charge you anywhere from $40 - $120 a month to write and stagger dispute letters.. It has worked for some.. it's certainly not worth it imo as I can write a letter just as good as anyone.. Here's an example.

Dear Collector,

I dispute this debt in it's entirety.

Sincerely,

Me

There ya go.. Your first dispute letter and it's free ;) no monthly fee

...I do understand that one can can (and maybe should) do credit repair themselves. But I was interested in seeing if any credit repair companies are reliable. I am not sure I have what it takes to do this by myself. If there are companies that really work, I am interested in hearing about them. Thanks, this is my first post. :)

Welcome - this is the best web site on the internet for learning about credit. Fixing your credit is easy, but understand it doesn't happen over night. If you want a good credit score, there has to be changers to your life.

When I was a LO, use to fix peoples credit at no charge so they could qualify for a loan. After being burned a few times, also seeing the same people come back a year later for another loan to cash out to pay bills. I stopped because they never learned what having good credit means.

Think of this analogy - seeing your life as a tube, one end money (income) goes in and at the other end the money (bills) goes out. Your age will determine where you are. As you get older - the money going out should be smaller.

Having good credit involves planning and learning not to live beyond your means. If this sounds to hard. By paying someone to manipulate your credit score is only a temporary band-aid.

xangelx

I am new here and I am here because I know better than to try to hire an agency to clean up my mess. My best friend was trying to buy a home and her agent sent her to a repair company, over $1000 and a year later and her scores where even lower than before, this delayed things even more for her and her husband. They finally have a home, but only after doing some work on their own. So here I am thinking it is about time I clean up my own mess as well. I have the time, now lets hope I am smart enough not to screw things up or make them worse!