Update about tomorrows court date!

See previous thread for details but I am so frustrated. This hearing was originally set for november. I entered my defense and then the lawyer said he couldn't come and courts called me and postponed it for tomorrow. Now the courthouse called me today saying the lawyer has postponed it again for the second week in Jan. What is this all about??? I am so frustrated! Is their anything I can do about them continuing to postpone??

Thank god i'm not employed but still a hassle to cancel my infants physical therapy sessions and babysitter when they decide to cancel 5 days and then 1 day before hearing ugh!

Edited by Sanatizer77

That will depend on your court's rules...

not sure but does the following apply?

Extensions of time.

(a) Extensions of time shall be governed by the following:

(1) Except as otherwise provided by law, whenever by these rules or by a regulation or order of an agency, or a notice given thereunder, an act is required or allowed to be done at or within a specified time, the time fixed or the period of time prescribed may, by the agency head or the presiding officer, for good cause be extended upon motion made before expiration of the period originally prescribed or as previously extended; and upon motion made after the expiration of the specified period, the act may be permitted to be done where reasonable grounds are shown for the failure to act.

(2) Requests for the extension of time in which to file briefs shall be filed at least 5 days before the time fixed for filing such briefs.

(B) Except as otherwise provided by law, requests for continuance of hearings or for extension of time in which to perform an act required or allowed to be done at or within a specified time by these rules or a regulation or order of an agency, shall be by motion in writing, timely filed with the agency, stating the facts on which the application rests, except that during the course of a hearing in a pro-ceeding, the requests may be made by oral motion in the hearing before the agency head or the presiding officer.

Do you have the case number? Write it down and show up to your local courthouse. Go to the clerk in the CIVIL division and ask for that person to pull your case file. Get photocopies of the ENTIRE case file. Courts usually charge about 10-25 cents per page for photocopies, so bring cash to pay for this.

Depending on your state, you may also have access to digital PDF copies of the case file. Check with your local courthouse via their website.

Do you have the case number? Write it down and show up to your local courthouse. Go to the clerk in the CIVIL division and ask for that person to pull your case file. Get photocopies of the ENTIRE case file. Courts usually charge about 10-25 cents per page for photocopies, so bring cash to pay for this.

Depending on your state, you may also have access to digital PDF copies of the case file. Check with your local courthouse via their website.

Thanks! the hearing is set to be at a magisterial court do I go there?

I am so frustrated! Is their anything I can do about them continuing to postpone??

Yeah, let it happen about three times, don't raise a stink, act like you are the most helpful litigant in the world, join in not objecting to their motion for continuance.

Then start hitting them with strategic rounds of discovery that will have different dates for an issue to be decided. Then ask for pre-trial hearings for everything. Have them in court every week on something. When, not if, but when they gripe, you act shocked that they are not extending you the same courtesy of working with the court dates you extend them.

I drug them into court for a single interrogatory. They had to wait an hour for a three minute hearing. Then the next week, drug them right back into court over something else.

It's just a game. They know what their doing. They are screwing with you. Watch The Rainmaker. Watch the attorney's for the insurance company. They always have issues, conflicts, or that just won't work for us moments.

Get them far enough into the game where they have just enough invested to care and then turn it into a three ring circus.

Or you can do what I did with my divorce and my Ex's lawyer started this game of canceling a hearing and doing a same day scheduling the same hearing for a later date without meet and confer. I motioned for a Protective Order to force him to meet and confer before scheduling ANY hearing and he had to accommodate my schedule. He was dancing real hard in front of the judge and he lost the motion.