Allied/ student loans/disabled-ssi

butterfly_girl

Yesterday, i received notice that Sallie mae was going to garnish my ssi/disability check because they have not been able to contact me. They had my old address at a family members home. Anyway- they can take up to 15%- SSi is not judgement proof as I had thought previously.

Today- I called the 1800 from the Irs paperwork - automated system had me enter my information then told me allied interstate has my account and to call them to work out payment.

Now- I need to know the next step for my situation- the loan is in default and I was on economic hardship status previously-

* if/when i call allied- they will want currant information- address and phone numbers- I think I have delt w/ them before and it was very unpleasant to say the least - I want to be prepared!

* I was told long ago that once you become disabled they can not go after you--which I think is untrue--

please advise -

*Ps this site needs a section for those of us on disability and proper procedures or laws- I would be happy to contribute and promote the section to others I know who could benefit.

I think I have delt w/ them before and it was very unpleasant to say the least

Have never anybody that did not have the same experience when dealing with this company. In fact, they are the first ones I dealt with after a bad divorce.

By their conduct, they introduced me to the FDCPA, FCRA, DV letters, websites such as this one, and most importantly to the civil court system as a Plaintiff suing a collection/jdb agency.

Sorry to hear you're having difficulty but don't let Allied push you around. Their conduct is governed by federal law and if you owe or don't owe the debt is immaterial.

Nascar- THANK YOU! great information- I may try- it may get a little sticky because my last time I tried to finish school I dropped out due to my disability worsening and migraines. I didn't get disability solely on migraines - i think my Dr would be more than willing to fill out the papers.

Is it better to call and make contact with allied or just print the information from the site/link you posted. If I contact allied - I would hope to delay the garnishment- the letter states due to start in March if left unattended.

Also--After reading the link nascar sent- I found this "You may qualify for discharge of a loan you received if, at the time you enrolled at the school and borrowed, you had a physical... condition, ...because of which State law would prohibit you from being employed in the field for which the training was designed to prepare you."

In my former profession I would not be considered or permitted to do my former job now by state law and licensing.

I guess I have some thinking to do about which route is quickest or would best apply. With SSi they back date (only a few years) and that could be the real issue. Figuring out the last dat e I attended and applied vs the date ssi has on file???

Edited by butterfly_girl
add information about backdates