Asset Acceptance is trying to make me pay dead relative's debts.

KCG116

About two years ago, a message was left on my housemate's answering machine stating that they were a collection agency seeking info on the estate of my deceased grandmother...

(I was not aware she had died-I had not seen her for some time because of family feuds).

I was informed by CA that there were allegedly three accounts in her name all to same bank that had not been paid...

I gave them info of attorney who at one point had handled some of her legal needs.

Some time passes, they call again seeking more info that I do not have as apparently they got nowhere with lawyer...

Next things I know, another collection agency, Asset Acceptance, has placed three accounts on MY credit reports, also from same bank, for same amounts, as if they were MY accounts!

I called bank to be told original credit agency calling me asking for info never even had grandmother's accounts!

Instead, they tell me accounts went straight to Asset and that I will have to deal with them, as they were sold...

(Even though bank claims accounts were never in my name so must be fraud on part of AA)...

Letters, phone calls etc to AA all ignored-calls I made I was told I had to speak to a specific department that never calls back when I leave messages.

They then sent accounts out to other collection agencies to collect on their behalf...

When I explain situation to those places, they return accounts to Asset and then Asset just sends it somewhere else...

Yet they update the amounts due on these accounts almost every month and the three now total somewhere around $75,000.

Edited by KCG116
More info.

Letters, phone calls etc to AA all ignored-calls I made I was told I had to speak to a specific department that never calls back when I leave messages.

I know first hand they don't ignore a lawsuit filed against them.

Asset Acceptance, right up there at the top with Midland and LVNV, as the worst of the worst.

Trying to reason with these people is a waste. Get your paper trail together, dispute per the FCRA, document all calls, send any letters CMRRR and then straight to the courthouse.

Trying to reason with these people is a waste. Get your paper trail together, dispute per the FCRA, document all calls, send any letters CMRRR and then straight to the courthouse.

I agree, except I believe you should not do this without an attorney. Not because you can't, but because an attorney will be entitled to attorney fees in this type of action, which will allow you (through him) to inflict a bit more pain when it comes time to write the check.

Based on what you've written, you have a very good case (and not only for debt collection violations - which is another good reason to retain counsel).

Nascar, you say I have a case "not only for debt collection violations".

What else do I have? Please fill me in...;)

Also, when there are three places involved-original creditor, collection place who did not collect and then place that bought accounts, how much can I collect?

Is it everything times three? (Each gets to pay?)

• 2 months later...

There are many chapters to fill it that have happened before today, but for now I will fast forward to today's partial episode of a life in a day of my ID theft HELL :evil:, as I only have the energy to relay a short summary of events...

On my last credit report one of the three Asset accounts was gone...

I call Asset for the umpteenth time last week I believe and finally someone actually speaks to me...

(Yes and after my "mini-Miranda".)-See other post in legal section.

(Guess they figured I was not going to stop calling them-PITA, uncooperative victim that I am...)

She tells me that one of the accounts they can no longer collect on, basically are not allowed for some mysterious reason but the other two are still active.

I ask Asset lady if it is noted on her end in her computer etc. of all my phone calls, messages, complaints etc. about these accounts possibly being Grandma's etc. and and them getting them un-coincidentally after Phillips and Cohen were looking to collect etc. and for the same amounts of money at the outset...

She tells me that there is a note that they were in dispute but the dispute has been resolved.

Really?

And what was the dispute and how was it resolved?

Because it has not been resolved as far as I am concerned.

"That's all it says..."

How convenient!

"But they were not my accounts.."

"P+Cohen says they were Grandma's and she's dead..."

"So why don't you get your grandmother to pay them?" she says...

I guess I was lied to...

All these years I kept being told you can't take money with you to the grave...so Asset must know something I don't

Then a lot more back and forth and she finally tells me she will put the accounts to the fraud department, if that's what I want...

No, I want you to keep bullying me into paying or being responsible for $90,000+ daily interest I did not get the pleasure of spending...

Then tells me I will be sent forms to fill out stating it's fraud etc.

Me telling her the fact that they have yet to send me one piece of paper as validation/verification/proof whatever you want to call it I know would have been mute so I did not bother...

So fast forward to today and I get a message from Chase bank...

(Suspenseful music..)...

Now stay tuned to the next post...

Edited by KCG116

These items were disputed long ago with all credit agencies and of course, came back "verified as correct".

And you are all right, I don't know why I bother wasting my time/energy attempting to resolve these matters peacefully with anyone anymore or "reasoning" with them as one of you said...

Years ago people/businesses responded, even appreciated people like me making sincere attempts to simply get a mistake rectified between myself and them and put it in the past and then move on...

I did not need lawyers on speed dial years ago...

These days, instead of businesses being happy you contacted them first, they start building their defense with false paperwork, lies, etc., refuse to fix the situation and back people into a corner where the only way to get the matter resolved is via an attorney, lawsuit etc.

Rather than help me, I am deemed the enemy to be destroyed...

Starting with slandering me and playing "blame the victim"....

When did the world get to this point?

I was told by an attorney she apparently had dealt with at some point that probate was not necessary...

He refused to give me the details other than that he did not represent her estate after her death for that reason.

I called the last county she lived in and was told that no probate had been filed.

That's all I know.

Reread my first post in this thread.

• 2 weeks later...
About two years ago, a message was left on my housemate's answering machine stating that they were a collection agency seeking info on the estate of my deceased grandmother...

(I was not aware she had died-I had not seen her for some time because of family feuds).

I was informed by CA that there were allegedly three accounts in her name all to same bank that had not been paid...

I gave them info of attorney who at one point had handled some of her legal needs.

Some time passes, they call again seeking more info that I do not have as apparently they got nowhere with lawyer...

Next things I know, another collection agency, Asset Acceptance, has placed three accounts on MY credit reports, also from same bank, for same amounts, as if they were MY accounts!

I called bank to be told original credit agency calling me asking for info never even had grandmother's accounts!

Instead, they tell me accounts went straight to Asset and that I will have to deal with them, as they were sold...

(Even though bank claims accounts were never in my name so must be fraud on part of AA)...

They then sent accounts out to other collection agencies to collect on their behalf...

When I explain situation to those places, they return accounts to Asset and then Asset just sends it somewhere else...

Yet they update the amounts due on these accounts almost every month and the three now total somewhere around $75,000.

I have to agree with 1st on this one - you have a clear FDCPA violation unless you were somehow on the account (or were somehow made legal guardian complete with power of attorney.)

A quick call to a law firm would resolve this for you. I can point you toward an affordable solution if you don't have a firm, PM for info.

• 1 month later...

Here in NY the State AG did nothing for me when I filed complaints about collection agencies etc, except send me a letter saying thank for letting us know that you have been royally F----- and tell the CRA's what you told us...

My paraphrasing of course...

They did do more over my medical collection problems though and I am very appreciative of the fellow who helped me in that dept..:)

Instead, you can complain to DCA which makes some of them go away temporarily but behind that they have not done much for me...it's really a hassle as they usually just send you the slime outfit's response and then to push it you have to respond to them (DCA) again and I personally am not in a position to have this be a full-time job every week...

Does the AG do more for individual cases in other states?

By anyone who wishes to do so since all they have to do is claim there is a "permissible purpose". Of course, ask the CRA what that PP was they listed, what info they have to verify they are legit etc. and they can never give me an answer...

By anyone who wishes to do so since all they have to do is claim there is a "permissible purpose". Of course, ask the CRA what that PP was they listed, what info they have to verify they are legit etc. and they can never give me an answer...

Each time they pull, file a dispute. Get ready to sue them for every pull they have made since you formally informed them via CMRRR that the debt is not yours and not associated with you in any way.

I received an UNSIGNED letter from someone supposedly at Chase Bank claiming I am not responsible for these debts.

That would be worthless in court.

You can send AA a CC letter and wait for their next action. Or if you are sufficiently angry, sue them first.