odd one. I VOD'd and got sent creditor X and amount Y but now that I got the summons

Its a different creditor who is the plaintiff and a different amount....but the same account number.

i'm going through the FDCPA to see what exactly they've broken this time but I'm wondering if anyone had thoughts on how this could help with my active defense?

Edited by drummer55

Yeah, the agency you sent the DV letter no longer owns the account. They sold it to somebody else, after they sent you the requested DV. That somebody else probably said we are not wasting our time on games and just sued.

you'd think that was the case but it was the same law firm representing both... can they just switch things around like that? oops this guy went out of business so I guess I'll sue for this guy with different amounts?

The same law firm can have multiple clients. In my area there is one attorney that represents and sues on behalf of just about all junk debt buyers.

It's not that odd or that big of a deal. In fact, who cares. They sued you so they have to prove standing. The issue for the case is does the Plaintiff that sued you own the debt, not how many different creditors the atty does business with.

It's really a non issue. I would start getting my discovery requests prepared.

Its a different creditor who is the plaintiff and a different amount....but the same account number.

Also, don't forget, when you ask for verification under the FDCPA, the collector must identify the original creditor. Since the account appears to have been sold, it stands to reason that you would be sued by someone other than the original creditor.