MIDLAND'S attorney answered THIS to my response...PLEASE HELP!

After responding (in less than 30 days) to the lawsuit against me filed by Midland, I received this letter from the attorney's office. I'm not sure what to do but I don't want to respond in any way that could count against me later. I feel that this is some type of trap. Let me know what you think. Thanks!

Dear Jane Doe,

We have recieved your answer filed with the court in the above referenced matter and we would appreciate the opportunity to discuss your case in further detail.

We encourage you to contact us as soon as possible to explore payment arrangements which might conclude this matter without further inconvience or expense to either yourself or our client.

Our client does not wish to cause you any unnecessary inconvenience and has given us some flexibility in dealing with your case in order to facilitate a resolution that can work for both parties.

John Doe will be your initial contact and can be reached at 777-777-7777. We look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

blah blah blah & Associates

Allow me to translate-

We got your answer, damn, you are one of the 2% that files an answer. Our client paid about fifty bucks for this account and has no documentation to support the claims alleged in the lawsuit.

Furthermore, even if we did have documentation it would be much too costly to go to trial with that documentation and provide witnesses to authenticate the documentation.

However, as a last ditch effort, we are going to make it appear to you that we are cutting you a break and we are "helping you out." In reality, we can't support any of our claims, we have no admissible evidence, we in no way expected you to answer the lawsuit.

So, if you would be so kind we are going to go with the something is better than nothing theory. We hope you will be an idiot and contact us. Once you do I will try to throw around some legal jargon to intimidate you and make you think I'm your friend and want to help you.

If we can squeeze anything out of you and just get something out of this account, we are going to be happy. Hell, you can't blame us, can you? It does not hurt to ask. So please be stupid and settle this account with us. You called our bluff, but hey we are pot committed at this time so we are going to throw one last bluff at you, please be bluffed and scared, please. Please call us, pretty please !!!

And the response they would get from me.

Go to hell, take your letter, your offer, and the initial contact at your office and shove it. I'll see you in court, and get ready to get destroyed, just like you do every time you bluff and pick on the wrong person!!!

I'm not going to just beat you in court, I'm going to humiliate you. ::BigGun::

You can always take their tactic to a new level. I assume you did not have to pay fees to file your answer, if you did then it would be worded another way.

RE: Your letter dated xx/xx/2012

I prefer that all communication be in writing to ensure there are no misunderstandings.

I am not interested in any payment arrangements unless you are suggesting your client pay me for the inconvenience of dealing with their meritless suit. I would like to propose a quick and timely settlement of immediate dismissal with prejudice by your client.

You may forward a proposed stipulation of dismissal to me should you wish to follow this course of action.

You can always take their tactic to a new level. I assume you did not have to pay fees to file your answer, if you did then it would be worded another way.

RE: Your letter dated xx/xx/2012

I prefer that all communication be in writing to ensure there are no misunderstandings.

I am not interested in any payment arrangements unless you are suggesting your client pay me for the inconvenience of dealing with their meritless suit. I would like to propose a quick and timely settlement of immediate dismissal with prejudice by your client.

You may forward a proposed stipulation of dismissal to me should you wish to follow this course of action.

+100

Both Coltfan and Kent nailed it. :mrgreen:

Make sure you show up to the court date even if you think that you have a deal worked out with Midland for the dismissal (and their check to you). It is not unheard of for Midland to lead you along "working" on the paperwork for a dismissal and then get a default judgement if you fail to show.