Vampires! The debts of estates that never die themselves...

KCG116

I have been digging through credit reports and making phone calls to find to what inquiries on old reports are for and keep finding out they are for accounts that are not mine and never were mine...

I am finding more and more accounts where somehow accounts that were possibly of a deceased relative, have had my name, address etc. assigned to them and they are trying to, of course hold me responsible via placing trade lines on my credit reports...

Or of course, sending me collection letters...

Mysteriously....no one can tell me where the problems started or who did it...the original creditor, the collection agency, a place that bought the account etc...

Now I would not call this ID theft, but outright fraud...

On some accounts, but not all, it is clear that it is the original creditor who changed the info before passing it along/selling it etc....

Other times, I am not convinced the account ever existed to begin with or that there is/was a glance due...

I read about the 623 method-however, this has yet to work-anytime I have called an original creditor about an account that was sold off and disputed the trade lines as the info on this board says, I am STILL told by the original creditor that they cannot help....that they no longer have the information...

So if I file a police report, how do you say it was actually the BANK itself that is committing the fraud in some instances?

HMMMMMMM.....................

Now I would not call this ID theft, but outright fraud...
Could be. The collection biz has a practice they call "appending" that involves adding new information to an account, or even changing it. It's usually the result of skip trace research. Most of it is benign as merely tracking down where debtors have moved to. But the system is also majorly flawed. Some of that can be flawed in ways that "make sense", like the guy who moved from the same state I moved from, in the same year, to a block away on the very same street of our newly shared city, who has exactly the same first and last as I have. He apparently had 3 outstanding debts. But I got them off my back easily enough. Apparently what goes on in some of these cases is they get 2 or more possible matches and just run the collection effort to see if that can sort it out (if all but one response "not mine", they usually go with the remaining person).

But a lot of this can easily toss in a lot of less reliable, and outright wrong, information.

On some accounts, but not all, it is clear that it is the original creditor who changed the info before passing it along/selling it etc....
So they are the ones to sue. But unless the collectors drop all collection efforts, including withdrawing CR info, name them, too, as parties which will be subject to "relief", such ordering them to remove credit report info, stop collection, etc.
Other times, I am not convinced the account ever existed to begin with or that there is/was a glance due...

It's possible information can get split into separate accounts incorrectly, too.

I read about the 623 method-however, this has yet to work-anytime I have called an original creditor about an account that was sold off and disputed the trade lines as the info on this board says, I am STILL told by the original creditor that they cannot help....that they no longer have the information...
Ask them for a written statement signed by a legal authority at the OC company, that they really have no information, including no information about who the debt was sold to. Tell them that not providing this information means you must assume in the "coming lawsuit" that they do have it, and will be named as a witness, and may be named as a defendant, since debt collectors are asserting they sold the debts. Send it CMRRR, of course.
So if I file a police report, how do you say it was actually the BANK itself that is committing the fraud in some instances?

You base that on the information you get from your most threatening demands. But be prepared to take this to court. Many business operate as if YOU are trying to get out of "YOUR" debt unless you are willing to take it to court.