I have been served, what do I do?

kb3427

I know I have to go to court, the date is Feb. 3rd. The summons was issued on 12/20/11 and was served today, 2/14/12. I live in TN and have a $10,000 personal property exemption so I am not worried about them seizing my 20 year old truck or my laptop, and that is all I own. I am being served by Midland Funding, LLC as successor in interest to Citifinancial. I owe $2,234.73 plus interest at 0.00% APR. It does not ask for a written statement, just gives the date to show up at court. I need to file a written list, under oath, of the items I wish to claim as exempt with the clerk. Is it as simple as that? I think I have $400 in the bank, have school to pay for and gas to put in the truck to get to school, I am working 18 hours a week at $10 an hour. I was out of work for 2 years and started back last July. I have no money to spare.

Sounds like they already have a judgement against you and this is a form of a debtors exam.

Just make a list (without the commentary) like you just did in your post. Then show up for court and answer the questions (again with no added commentary) truthful. They will see you have nothing. I would get the 400.00 out of the bank before I answered how much I had in the bank.