MADwand

Charity Hospital demanding money

OK, I got chewed out last time I tried to handle a collector on my own, so I am asking this time before I do anything. My GF went to a CHARITY HOSPITAL for a sever pain in her foot because she has no insurance and cannot afford to go to a doctor. She only makes $21,000 a year. She was seen by a Dr. there who told her to go to a Dr. That was the extent of it. Now they are billing her $245.30, second notice. If she had known they would charge her, she would not have gone there. Jackass Obama's free health coverage for the planet has not kicked in yet, so she cannot and should not have to pay this bill. What is she supposed to do now?

I would refuse to pay in that the doctor didn't actually treat her - he passed her off to another doctor.

I had a dentist try that with me. As soon as he found out I was allergic to Novocaine he refused to work on my teeth but sent me a bill anyway. He never even looked in my mouth. It told him that since he didn't treat me he isn't getting paid. To this day he hasn't been paid and that was 8 years ago. I haven't heard from him since.

OK, I got chewed out last time I tried to handle a collector on my own, so I am asking this time before I do anything. My GF went to a CHARITY HOSPITAL for a sever pain in her foot because she has no insurance and cannot afford to go to a doctor. She only makes $21,000 a year. She was seen by a Dr. there who told her to go to a Dr. That was the extent of it. Now they are billing her $245.30, second notice. If she had known they would charge her, she would not have gone there. Jackass Obama's free health coverage for the planet has not kicked in yet, so she cannot and should not have to pay this bill. What is she supposed to do now?

His health plan is not a form of free health coverage. It mandates (and the mandate is under attack from both sides ... from the "it should be private and everyone pays their own way" side ... and from the "we need free single payer government health care for all" side). If you want free health care, move to Norway, Sweden, or Denmark.

As for the hospital, there is a valid charge here because the doctor did perform an examination and determined who would be able to treat it. And $245.30 might seem too much for such little service, the whole medical system is completely screwed up because doctors have to pay for the highest practice insurance here (the premiums alone are greater than the median US income), and the hospital costs include all the charity they offer for those who cannot or do not pay. Technically, everyone gets billed whether they have money or not. Those that then ask for a charity case, may be able to work it out differently.

Would she like to file for bankruptcy over $245.30? (I an NOT recommending it)

Is a a doctor bill or a facility bill?

This is exactly my question. My daughter is currently facing a similar situation. She has been unemployed for over 2 years and is on Medicaid now. She needed to be seen one night because she was having difficulty breathing. She called the hospital to make sure they took the medical card and was told yes. Turns out the hospital does but their ER docs don't, so now she's getting collection calls.

Guest usctrojanalum

Yep, that's why I asked. Often times ER doctors are NOT employed by the hospital that they work in. It is too much of a liability issue. If a hospital employs a doctor, and the doctor messes up - the hospital can be jointly liable for the malpractice.

So to counter that, what is common, is that doctors will be staffed in the ER by independent companies. That's why a lot of times a hospital will accept one insurance company, but the doctors inside the hospital might be out of network.

His health plan is not a form of free health coverage. It mandates (and the mandate is under attack from both sides ... from the "it should be private and everyone pays their own way" side ... and from the "we need free single payer government health care for all" side).

What does that even mean? You said it mandates (...) and didn't finish your sentence. The fact is it's unconstitutional and it will accomplish nothing, just as his past spending of trillions of dollars has.

As for the hospital, there is a valid charge here because the doctor did perform an examination and determined who would be able to treat it. Technically, everyone gets billed whether they have money or not. Those that then ask for a charity case, may be able to work it out differently.

This is a Hospital charge. It is a CHARITY HOSPITAL. And this is a SECOND NOTICE bill from a COLLECTION AGENCY. I'm asking about a person at poverty level being billed by a FREE hospital for services that weren't even given (in our opinion). And then being collected on.

Would she like to file for bankruptcy over $245.30?

Nobody mentioned anything about filing bankruptcy, so I don't know why you brought that up.

Edited by MADwand
Guest usctrojanalum

I hope I do not sound naive, but what is a charity hospital? I have never heard of such a thing. I have heard of hospitals offering charity care, and being non-profit. But I have never heard of going to a hospital where there is no bill for going to it. I'm pretty sure if such a hospital existed, they would be so inundated with patients it would collapse under itself.

In many states, there are no such things as "Free Charity Care" Hospitals. Even the government ran clinics and hospitals bill for cost of services rendered. This is true in Minnesota and was true in New York when I lived there.

What happens is that if all other options to pay a bill are exhausted or not obtainable, the hospitals have a charity fund in which the bill is paid out of. This is money donated to the hospital fund by those who wish to be charitable in that manner. You have to apply to that fund and prove that 1) You cannot pay the bill, 2) You have no insurance that will or should pay the bill, and 3) You have tried to obtain government aid in paying the bill and have failed.

The idea of a hospital that services patients for free is therefore a foreign idea in most states. Now Louisiana has a weird legal system that may allow for something like that. This is not how it works in most states.

Yes, that is what a charity hospital does. They treat millions of people a year for no fee. The state eats it. What do indigent people icn your state do when they need a hospital?

In my state, if you have no insurance and are below a certain income, you can fill out a form for charity care. I don't know if the state pays a portion of that or not. I do believe that organizations contribute to the charity funds.

Guest usctrojanalum
Yes, that is what a charity hospital does. They treat millions of people a year for no fee. The state eats it. What do indigent people icn your state do when they need a hospital?

Apply for charity care and emergency medicaid. Also, in my state a person who makes $400 per week is not considered indigent.

search for a site called hospital Victims dot com. They have some great information there about this and letters you can use to protect your rights.

We have about 34k of unexpected medical bills and we send about $5.00 a month to each bill.

If she could just start sending a small amount that may be enough to avoid a collections hassle.

I would refuse to pay in that the doctor didn't actually treat her - he passed her off to another doctor.

I had a dentist try that with me. As soon as he found out I was allergic to Novocaine he refused to work on my teeth but sent me a bill anyway. He never even looked in my mouth. It told him that since he didn't treat me he isn't getting paid. To this day he hasn't been paid and that was 8 years ago. I haven't heard from him since.

Wow, allergic to novocaine and paying bills!