Credit Control LLC

inthesticks

My daughter has been getting phone calls from some collection agency. They do not identify themselves. She did answer the phone once, to see who they were. She told them to send her information in writing, which they have never done. She usually does not answer when they call but she did talk to them a second time, about a week after the first call, to try to find out who they were and who they were supposedly collecting for. They claim to be collecting for a local hospital that she was seen at a few months ago. She has been unemployed for 2 years and is on the medical card. One night she had a severe bronchitis attack and had to go to the ER. She called the hospital before she went to make sure they took Medicaid and was told they did. Apparently the hospital itself does take it but their ER doctors do not. She remembers only that they included something in her paperwork that they had her sign "for your insurance" that she was never given a copy of. So she does not owe anything to the hospital but might owe the doctor. The CA, though, specifically said they were calling "for the hospital."

Sorry to get so long winded but I wanted to make it clear that she MIGHT owe somebody something but this CA just smells fishy. I tried calling their number back and they do not in any way identify who they are. Their recording just says "thank you for calling and the first available representative will be with you shortly" and when a person answered he just said "this is so and so how may I help you." I did google the number and it comes up as Credit Control LLC. I read a LOT of bad things about them. I'm wondering if she should DV them even though the only way we have their name is by googling their phone number? She tried asking them flat out who they were and they wouldn't answer her.

Well they violated the FDCPA by not disclosing they were a debt collector and any information will be used blah, blah.

Never talk to a collector without the recorder going. I don't know if your state is a one party or not, would not matter to me. I'd record no matter what. Unless you're trying to take down a president, I don't know who will care. However, you might want to check the law if you care.

If they are going to violate the law, not much you can do, unless she wants to sue them. What kind of company expects somebody to pay them if they don't even know he they are talking with?

What kind of company expects somebody to pay them if they don't even know he they are talking with?

This one, apparently. They have a huge amount of BBB complaints. I'm just not sure what to suggest she do - ignore them, DV them, report them to the AG? I know she's not up to suing them.

You can read my posts and know I am not even .0001% on the JDB or Collection Agency side. However, I would challenge anybody to find a collection agency or JDB that has a good rating with the BBB.

The business of calling people, who generally speaking, can't pay their bills, is probably not going to get people motivated and wanting to file positive feedback with the BBB. I can just see it now. They were so nice in taking my money. It was a great experience being called out of the blue and then forking over my bank details so they could do an immediate 300.00 debit. :D

I worked insurance claims. Every time somebody did not get what Kelly Blue Book, top retail, exceptional condition said, for their; 10 year old car with bald tires, a missing door handle, cracked windshield, engine oil leaking motor and hail damaged roof, complaints were filed.

We had form letters, fill in the blank type responses we would respond with for state dept of insurance claims. If it was a real dispute then somebody actually would get specific and investigate. We would not even respond to BBB complaints, waste of time.

AG, can't hurt but will probably just get a thanks we will let you know if anything else is needed letter.

You could have her send a full C&D letter. But you are just right back in the same position if they violate the C&D.