Restrictive Endorsement in California

California Civil Code Section 1526 - California Attorney Resources - California Laws This link goes to the text of the Restrictive Endorsement law.

At work, my boss got a letter from a collection company. She said that she mailed a check to the collectors (located in Pennsylvania) with a Restrictive Endorsement for $10.00 because she thought the last invoice from the original creditor (a glass company) mailed to us (amount $131.00) was incorrect because half of the glass vases we ordered were broken on arrival (They agreed to credit her account for the damage, but apparently never did). We are in California.

The florist I work for is an LLC formed in Delaware, but registered in California with the secretary of state. The guy at the collections company said that since her company is based in Delaware, that the California Restrictive Endorsement rule doesn't apply.

Can she still use the Restrictive Endorsement? There are photos of the broken vases from *the moment the box was opened* to prove the goods were damaged. The box was shipped from out of state into California, if that makes any difference.

The guy at the collections company said that since her company is based in Delaware, that the California Restrictive Endorsement rule doesn't apply.

My first question to him would be what law school did he go to. He is probably making just over min wage plus commission. LOL