UNC - Unique National Collection - not licensed?

redbank

So I have spent most of my day doing searches on here and reading, but only a few posts touched on what I am looking for, but those posts didn't really give a cut and dry answer. Maybe you know the answer or the post to direct me to if this was covered before.

Unique National Collection seems to be a favorite CA for Libraries... I pulled my 3 credit reports and they are listed for a $77 paid collection for my local city library. I didn't realize this ever went to collections and I paid directly to the library 5 months ago. Actually when I returned the books, the ladies at the desk dropped it down to like $26 if my memory is correct.

The listing says collection agency/attorney ... so they have to be licensed in TN right? Does the fact that they are collecting for a Library (government ran) change anything? I ask because I can't find where they are licensed in TN. I was hoping to be able to use this for leverage to get a removal of this paid debt. Can anyone help me verify that they are not licensed in TN when they need to be?

Its been several years since I returned to work and stopped posting here. I have lurked from time to time. Thanks for helping an old timer get her game on!

Bond: $15,000 1-4 employee, $20,000 5-9 employee, $25,000 10 or more, License: Yes

Exemption for out-of-state collectors: Contact state licensing

i looked at tn.gov under the Department of Commerce and Insurance and could not find them listed

Thank you rej. I didn't see Unique National Collection either, it looks like their registered as a business in TN, but not licensed.

I went a step further and just did a search for Unique, and after looking through the list of "Unique" licenses in TN, I did find a Unique Management Services, same city and zip code, licensed as a collection agency.

1) Would I have any leverage on getting them to remove themselves from my credit report because they are using a different name than the license?

2) Does it matter that the OC is a library?

I can answer the part about if it matters if the OC is a library. It does not.

You won't have a private right of action (generally speaking) to sue them for not being licensed. However, not being licensed if they should be, would be an FDCPA violation. That would be your leverage, an FDCPA violation.

I can't imagine they would do anything but run if you started on a mission to get this removed. They've been paid, they no longer have a dog in this fight.

I have no idea if they need to be licensed or the question about the name they are using.

• 3 weeks later...

well experian outcome is... deleted

Wasn't on equifax...

and waiting for results from transunion. I disputed 3 TL and status says 2 of 3 complete, so it won't give me results till all 3 are complete. Estimation on completion date: Feb 17

Maybe this won't be such a hard fight after all **crosses fingers**