Cingular Wireless

mikefl

I have been a customer for Cingular Wireless/AT&T for many years. A few years ago when Cingular merged with AT&T things became a huge mess, billing issues, etc. I ended up leaving Cingular and going with another carrier. I ended up having a collection from Cingular for around $300. The credit bureaus show a balance date of 2007 and a date of of 1 st Delinquency of 2005, date reported 2007, date assigned 2006. This account has a high impact on my scores and I want to address it the best way possible so that my scores will improve. What is the best way to go about resolving this one based on the facts? Thanks in advance for your assistance.

-Mike

Well, there are a couple of things with this..

First, It's probably not having much of an effect on your scores at all if it's this old. Probably less than 5-10 points in reality.

Two, it will fall off on it's own this year. They only stay on your reports for 7 years (at most 7yrs 180 days) but typically they're removed at 7 years. They are not allowed to repost them either unless you do something foolish like make a payment.. something to reset the DFL and or the SOL.

Three in New Jersey the Statute of limitations for them to take any kind of legal action against you is six years. Which means the SOL has expired and there isn't anything they can do to you now. They can't sue you in court, they can't garnish your wages and sometime this year it will fall off of your credit reports which means they can't even report it anymore..

Again, a collection this old isn't having that much of an impact on your FICO score. Chances are if your FICO score is lower than what you think it should be it's probably due to high debt to available credit ratio on revolving debt and or some missed payments in the last two years.

If it were me.. I'd recommend that you do nothing with this and let it fall off.. Or I'd make a dispute with the credit bureaus and see if you can get it removed that way. You may even consider writing a direct dispute along with a Cease and desist letter to the CA that has the account. With it's age chances are they don't have anything and there's a good chance they would just delete it anyhow.

I have been a customer for Cingular Wireless/AT&T for many years. A few years ago when Cingular merged with AT&T things became a huge mess, billing issues, etc. I ended up leaving Cingular and going with another carrier. I ended up having a collection from Cingular for around $300. The credit bureaus show a balance date of 2007 and a date of of 1 st Delinquency of 2005, date reported 2007, date assigned 2006. This account has a high impact on my scores and I want to address it the best way possible so that my scores will improve. What is the best way to go about resolving this one based on the facts? Thanks in advance for your assistance.

-Mike

I just browsed to all 3 reports as of this month looks like this one is only showing up on Equifax, the other bureaus are not showing it. Should I make an attempt to contact Equifax and get it removed? What would I tell them?

Thanks!

-Mike

• 1 month later...
Im with Hal let it go... you can dispute it online and you don't tell them a thing, just in the online box say you dispute the charge.. then its up to ATT to get back to them and if they don't do it in a timely manner it falls off

First thank you all very much! I have disputed this account with all 3 bureaus online and this account has now been removed!

-Mike