I want my brain back...!

redbank

So all this credit repair info used to make sense to me, became second nature, cleaned my credit reports substantially... this was 2007ish.

Since then, I have 2 more children, making a total of 3. (8yrs, 2.5 yrs, and 6 months) I have SEVERE brain fog now. I am 34. Between trying to remember whose diaper was changed when, who has a doctor/dentist appt, homework, dance class, who ate what and when, working 40hrs a week with a rough schedule (4am start time), and trying to remember who to pick up from where and when, Oh and I am personally taking one class a semester (FREE through work, yay!)

Sometimes I think I am losing my mind! :urcrazy: I can't remember things or have to read something 4 times before I understand or even halfway retain it. Ideas mix in my head causing confusion when ever I try to accomplish a not regularly scheduled task. It used to not be like this.

I know I am not the only busy mom out there... How do you do it and stay mentally sharp? How can I improve this?

Any suggestions?

I'm 34 and I'm a dad to two, a 3yr old son and a 1yr old daughter. They keep me on my toes. So does my corporate job, HoA directorship, side law office, rental property, etc. There are days when I quite literally can't hear myself think because there is so much to do and not enough hours.

I agree with the prior poster. Prior to 2005, I worked out almost daily. Life was simple- work then workout then more 'me' time when I got home. Then came marriage, kids, school in evening...and that was it. You HAVE TO carve out time for yourself so you can even think straight. For me, my day now starts at 4:40am. iPod goes on, and I work out until 6:15am. It makes a world of difference, for health reasons but mostly for getting my daily thoughts straight and prioritizing the day. I also start every day in a great frame of mind. Before this, days seemed to run together with no time to take a step back and reflect on what needs to be done and when (and what's important and what isn't).

My wife also says that it took her about a year after the second baby was born to get rid of "pregnancy brain", which sounds remarkably like the fog you described. I suppose it could also be that, but then what would my excuse be...:cool:

You need time to yourself. So if you can't carve it out of your day before the kids get up, then maybe your partner will be kind enough to give you the time.

Edited by jq26

SKYDIVING and EXERCISE! running, swimming, biking and triathlon racing, all of the above mentioned by the other posters, it is the only way. I have to wake up at 4 every morning just to get that alone time, but it is worth it everytime. The days I miss are the days I seem to fall behind on my scheduling.

One thing I remind myself during the craziest mom moments, "WE WILL MISS IT WHEN IT IS GONE!' and it will be gone before we know it....

Hang in there other mamas, just make time to rejuvinate your mind, body and soul!

this will entertain the 2.5 and the .5. and then teach your 8 year old knitting or other craft.

and to pass on something Me mom's friend told me(she is a meditation guru) when it gets all scrambled in your head touch the tip of your tongue to your soft pallet and hold for 30 seconds. She said it was the reset switch for your brain. Go ahead try it it really worked for me.

Now how did that go for ya.

• 1 month later...

RE "when it gets all scrambled in your head touch the tip of your tongue to your soft pallet and hold for 30 seconds. She said it was the reset switch for your brain."

Thanks. I just tried it but no effect yet. Or maybe I'm too distracted to notice. I'll keep trying, though.

• 3 weeks later...

Wait 'til you get to be 63 .... and you can't even remember what you had for breakfast (or if you even ate breakfast).

You do what you have to do ... and do it ...... when you have to do it.

Did I really post this?

Edited by Savoir
edited to add:

My parents always took our family on a 3-5 mile bike ride/walk/run... DAILY... when we were growing up.

This served 2 purposes: keep us kids in shape AND got us properly tired before going to bed every night. (Kids will not fight you to go to bed when they're exhausted). Since we couldn't always eat dinner together (the spread of ages between us and our cousins who lived with us was HUGE) because of scheduling, this was a good way to have family time and fitness. I really don't remember a time ever fighting with my parents to go to sleep after one of these bike rides or jogs. I was just too dang tired.

If I have kids, I'm totally doing this. It also seemed to help my parents "brain fog" and now my oldest cousin swears by it with her 4 kids. The littlest one gets to ride shotgun in the baby carrier on the bike, but the other ones all get their own bikes to ride or roller blades.

I also babysit my 11 year old second cousin once a week. I take her out on "science adventures" (to combat the crazy religious element of the family) so she doesn't feel like she's being "baby-sat". We collect bugs and plants in jars, then I'm her "lab assistant" while she comes up with "experiments".

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
this will entertain the 2.5 and the .5. and then teach your 8 year old knitting or other craft.

and to pass on something Me mom's friend told me(she is a meditation guru) when it gets all scrambled in your head touch the tip of your tongue to your soft pallet and hold for 30 seconds. She said it was the reset switch for your brain. Go ahead try it it really worked for me.

Now how did that go for ya.

Too crazy! :shock:

Years ago standing in the shower, super stressed out, crying and sick of having nervous breakdowns I heard a voice in my head say to put my tongue right behind my teeth on the top of my mouth and clear my mind. I used to do it all of the time and think I will do it a lot more since I'm repairing and rebuilding. It really did work, not sure how I got away from that.