Trying to understanding JDB's timing...is there a yearly pattern?

newstart2012

In the last 10 days, DH has received three letters from three different JDBs on alleged accounts dating back to 2001-05. My questions have nothing to do with dealing with them, SOLs or how to get rid of them. I've been reading enough on here to take the proper action in each case.

I'm trying to understand the timing of these folks. It just seems suspicious that all of a sudden we are hearing from JBD on some possible very old debts.

In Nov 2011, we got his scores and decided to start the clean up required. What's on there is actually pretty minor. Some will drop off this year, some will be out of SOL this year. BTW, none of the recent letters are tied in any way with what is on there.

I'm wondering if activity on his CRs by us is tied in any way with these folks popping up. Or do they send out tons of letters every year with the hopes that folks will take their tax returns and send them money not owed to them? Two of the three have referenced using tax return money to clear up the debt.

I'd be interested to hear from others who for whatever reason suddenly start getting letters either after doing some repair work or during tax season. Is there a pattern? Have we done this to ourselves or is it just luck of the draw?

As always, TIA!

It's tax time...as someone else posted, they are hoping you'll use your tax refund to pay off debts...

Keep in mind, that even a small payment (or in some states, an acknowledgment) on a debt restarts the SOL. If you feel that you want to pay these old debts off, consult with a lawyer.

I do agree with the tax refund time excuse. I've seen that pattern, before.

But another factor can be causing JDBs to dig deeper this year. When the economy went sour, CCCs and banks started to get tight on offering accounts to riskier people. And lots who already had accounts defaulted. Fewer people are applying for new CC accounts

The stream of collection accounts that JDBs can buy from OCs (and the first line of DBs that some CCCs sell to right after charge off) have been shrinking. JDBs see new accounts generally at the 3 to 8 year end of the collection cycles. The economy of a few years back has put the smackdown on their new account streams. They won't see it get better until 3+ years after the economy turns around. Hopefully by then BK will have cleared some of them out (though the personalities that started them are likely to start some new ones in time).

They are getting more desperate. And this IS THE TIME to be more on guard for illegal tactics by JDBs.

They are getting more desperate. And this IS THE TIME to be more on guard for illegal tactics by JDBs.

I agree...JDBs have been smacked around by the courts in many states and have lost at least 1 Supreme Court decision this year as well.

On top of that, consumers are filing more FDCPA, FCRA and TCPA suits each quarter according to Webrecon.

Must be something in the air. Yesterday I received a notice from what appears to be a JDB regarding a CC with one of the home improvement centers. They are claiming a $500 balance and are offering a 1 time settlement of $125. If this is in fact related to a card that I once had (and paid), we are talking about a 10 year old debt.

Ah well, time to dig up one of my ESAD letters and make a trip to the post office.

I'd have a little fun...send them a DV...you might be able to goad a violation or two out of them.

Just for fun I gave them a call this morning, with the recorder running. I was hoping for at least one "we'll sue you". I got a rep that was very cool and she played by the book. They had a lot of info too. They had the date the account was opened and the DOFD (Jan 2005) but they only had my current address (did not have the addresses where I lived when the alleged account was opened and when it went into default) and they didn't have anything with my signature (I asked specifically).

I then asked if she realized they were trying to collect something that was outside of the SOL. I said that even if this was mine, and I have serious doubts that it is based on the information you have provided, it is so far outside of the SOL that you can't do anything to collect it anyway. She then wanted to transfer me to a supervisor. I said no need, there is nothing here so I don't need to talk to anyone else.

This was the single moment where she stared to lose her composure a little and said "fine, then we will just report back to the OC that you are not willing to cooperate." I said "excuse me, what was that?" hoping to get her going a little more, but she hung up.

What do you think? Play a little and DV it or just let it go?

This is a CA that is working for the OC.

Must be something in the air. Yesterday I received a notice from what appears to be a JDB regarding a CC with one of the home improvement centers. They are claiming a $500 balance and are offering a 1 time settlement of $125. If this is in fact related to a card that I once had (and paid), we are talking about a 10 year old debt.

Ah well, time to dig up one of my ESAD letters and make a trip to the post office.

Play with them. Have fun at their expense.

In the past 2 weeks, I've also received letters from 2 different collection agencies (Allgate Financial and Northland Group), trying to scare me into paying debts I did not owe, and even if I had owed them, they are outside California's SOL. I've replied to both stating as much, but what I've been wondering is: is there a way to make further attempts on their parts to defraud me pay? I know the state and federal governments can fine the socks off of them (if they ever get around to it), but what do I need to do to collect "damages" for them harassing me, and wasting my time in drafting letters, and my money mailing off responses by certified mail? I'm self-employed. I'm losing billable work time over this nonsense.