I know I shouldn't laugh but....

crh70

18 January we get a letter from a law firm in Houston (who is known for being aggressive) saying they are collecting on a judgment against my husband and to contact them.

A week later we get letters regarding interogatorries that we are to return to them within 30 days.

So we're scratching our head as it's all news to us. We have an appointment to see a lawyer on Thursday but in the interim I rang the courts this morning to see what I could find out.

The judgment was awarded against him in 2000! And they obtained a Writ of Execution in May 2011. And we're only finding out about the whole thing now? How on earth is this possible? And is there really anything we can do?

Would love to hear others thoughts. Thank you.

How on earth is this possible?

You're watching how it's possible, unfortuantely you have the best seat in the house.

And is there really anything we can do?

Sounds like you'll be able to answer that question on Thursday.

Would love to hear others thoughts.

A judgement is enforceable for a very long time, sometimes, for life. Generally speaking, they have to be renewed every 10 to 20 years, but can follow you around pretty much for decades. That is what you're seeing happening right now.

I would assume one of a few things happened.

They just now located you.

They sold the judgment to somebody and that person wants a return on their investment.

You contacted them and tried to work out an agreement and they got some info on you and now are going for the home run (all of it).

It sat on somebody's desk or came up for some type of review and they are just now getting around to you (about 80% of judgments go uncollected).

They have been watching your situation and you were judgement proof and for some reason you now have something worth going after.

They sold the judgment to somebody and that person wants a return on their investment.

My personal opinion is that it is that one. He's been in the same home for 7 years so quite easy to locate, and we have nothing of particular value outside of the exemptions to take, so this is the main one that sticks out at me.

I guess I just find it quite mindblowing that a judgment can be obtained and sit against a person for 12 years without it showing on credit records, or previous collection being attempted. He was never served in the first instance so that's our main defense to start with but will be interesting to say the least to see what happens next.

As the economy continues to tank, gas prices rise and money becomes tougher and tougher to come by, everybody is looking to squeeze what they can.

Probably got sold to somebody that pays two cents on the dollar and if they get lucky just a few times, they make out like a bandit.

Thank you BV. I had also read that Texas = 10 years so I will be looking into whether it was renewed. If the judgment was 2000, then 10 years would be 2010, and they obtained a Writ of Execution in May 2011. So I'm assuming it was but will be looking for hard proof too :)