1099-C received on dead relative's debt.

My mother passed away back in September 2010 and the estate has already gone through a formal probate and been closed. This creditor was sent notice of the estate and never made a claim. Now I'm receiving a 1099-C for a cancelled debt sent to my mother in care of me. This was not my debt, but my mother's debt, and the creditor had notice and did not make a claim against the estate within the 90 day creditor period. My question is this:

Do I need to report this anywhere on my taxes? Does this have anything at all to do with my taxes? I live in Florida and my mother lived in Mississippi. Her will was probated in Mississippi.

Thanks

LawKitty

after the probate process, they have no standing to send you anything. the IRS really cannot go after you.

I would call the IRS for tax questions they have a number and they will advise you.

I believe the 1099 is way too late as it is 2 tax years late. You can only 1099 for the tax year the debt is excused in. The fact that they missed the boat and you are no longer the executrix/executor for the estate it has been already distributed.

so check with the IRS and note this is probably an fdcpa violation.

this is something I found way back when:

http://www.creditinfocenter.com/forums/collections/304722-found-information-deceased-debtor-collections.html