Have charcoal suit for oral arguement medium gray shirt what color tie?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bright red (solid color). Power tie.

I wore the same tie to every hearing and trial. Never took it to the cleaners and it had its own special spot in the closet, with a huge keep away and do not touch sign above it.

For powersuit stuff, I like the dark suit with a white shirt and red tie. A gray shirt will work too.

Good luck Seadragon!

For what it's worth:

White long sleeve shirt if you have time, gray will be good as well, make sure the collar is nicely starched and pressed, and definitely a red, silk power tie. Maybe something with some small far apart little squares or designs in it, but definitely red. NO pocket square or hankie, it'll look like you're trying too hard. Tie a nice knot too. Also, if you're going to button your jacket, no real need to if your don't want to, ALWAYS leave the bottom button UNBUTTONED. If it's a two button jacket, only button the top button, if it's a three button jacket, only button the top two buttons, etc., nothing says "I never ware suites like buttoning all the buttons... LOL! But again, you can always not button the jacket at all, it's perfectly acceptable. You're gonna scream "Don't mess with me!"

I used to ware suits all the time and one of my first jobs was working for a Haberdashery selling fine suites!

Good Luck!

rt

Good luck Seadragon!

For what it's worth:

White long sleeve shirt if you have time, gray will be good as well, make sure the collar is nicely starched and pressed, and definitely a red, silk power tie. Maybe something with some small far apart little squares or designs in it, but definitely red. NO pocket square or hankie, it'll look like you're trying too hard. Tie a nice knot too. Also, if you're going to button your jacket, no real need to if your don't want to, ALWAYS leave the bottom button UNBUTTONED. If it's a two button jacket, only button the top button, if it's a three button jacket, only button the top two buttons, etc., nothing says "I never ware suites like buttoning all the buttons... LOL! But again, you can always not button the jacket at all, it's perfectly acceptable. You're gonna scream "Don't mess with me!"

I used to ware suits all the time and one of my first jobs was working for a Haberdashery selling fine suites!

Good Luck!

rt

Good tip for the bottom button just got off the phone with my mom she will send me daddies tie he wore when when a paralegal he wore the same tie to court. Dark Grey with 3 teal stripes. She is sending it express mail :) and wearing my dad's watch he bought on his first pass after boot camp he wore it everyday after that till he died, my mom saved it for and I will be using it to mark my time.

Did you ever think there would come the day when before oral arguments in court, a few non-attorney pro se litigants last minute questions would be what color tie to wear? :D

I think I had it easier because I had an outline for the opening brief, then I outlined their brief and outlined my reply brief, and then reconciled myself to the fact that with my case and this being matters of first impression or new interpretations that I am gonna get 2 words out of my mouth before the questioning starts. Dont get me wrong I have a whole 6 minute speech laid out but I have sectionalized it to support questions from the court.

So I am confident in what will happen at oral arguement I just want to look good doing it.:)

Most likely they will rush me and bada bing rule. So even if my ship is sinking I want to look my best.

and I thank everyone on this board for making it possible for me in pro per to make a charge against the industry juggernaut. No if I only can avoid saying something stupid.:p

For what it's worth:

Also, if you're going to button your jacket, no real need to if your don't want to, ALWAYS leave the bottom button UNBUTTONED. If it's a two button jacket, only button the top button, if it's a three button jacket, only button the top two buttons, etc., nothing says "I never ware suites like buttoning all the buttons... LOL! But again, you can always not button the jacket at all, it's perfectly acceptable. You're gonna scream "Don't mess with me!"

Also, it is proper to unbutton completely when you sit down, but immediately rebutton (top ones like RT said), upon rising again.

:lol: I guess they were some "suite" "suits"!!! LOL!

Dark Grey with 3 teal stripes. She is sending it express mail :) and wearing my dad's watch he bought on his first pass after boot camp he wore it everyday after that till he died, my mom saved it for and I will be using it to mark my time.

That outfit sounds like you will be one handsome dude!

Main thing is that you are not distracted by what you are wearing, and it gives you confidence--not makes you feel unconfident. If ANY part of your clothing makes you feel awkard or uncomfortable, find something else!! Nothing like being distracted by ill fitting or irritating clothing when you are trying to do a very difficult task!!

We are all here rooting for you and cannot wait to hear how it all went!!! You are well prepared, and are going to knock their socks off!!!

I will definetly roll with my power stuff. I will listen to Public Enemy on the way to court and if te plaintiff's attorney offers their hand I will spit on it.(honest your honor it is a sign of respect for my people).

One week to go and I am feeling good. been practicing. My friends say it should make them listen, but he really thinks they are gonna rule for me because the would have kicked the appeal out already if they were just going to affirm the judgment(they are busy people).

So I am going with No pocketsquare(my wife said that is so Lifetime tv), Daddies power tie and a hero's watch.

He used that watch in the base hospital ER to save lives(checking pulse), to sometimes see if I was late coming home(dang), to help navigate the boat, and of course mark time in court for the lawyers. It even saved his life while rock climbing It snagged on a rock when his hand slipped.

I even see it in My parent's wedding photo. Every childhood has it and now passed on to me. maybe when I am gesturing in court a lightning bolt will zap the plaintiff's attorney. but it is calming and good to where.

when all of us go to court wear something of power. A button or pin. I even sent a friend a miniture ribbon of a distinguished flying cross for court. The didn't have to go, their case was dismissed but I believe in suiting up in armour for your battle.

I have had to eat alot of PBJ for my suit but it is now gonna take me to battle.

As far as the oral arguements it is gonna be "what's my name B****". I will fight forever.

I will definetly roll with my power stuff. I will listen to Public Enemy on the way to court and if te plaintiff's attorney offers their hand I will spit on it.(honest your honor it is a sign of respect for my people).

Now that's funny, I don't care who you are, that's funny... I like your style Seadragon, you're gonna kill em... ::BigGun::

rt

Your honor, they should be thanking me for the gift of my body's water!

This is for an appeal, is that correct?

I posted something a few weeks ago, a lawyer from California was at the beach, and had forgotten he had a hearing. His secretary called him, and he rushed to the court houe. He appeared in open court in bathing trunks and flip flops, quite drunk. The judge threw him out and fined him.

You'll be surprised how much you remember when you start arguing this. You've lived this case, the JDB lawyer has not. You have an advantage in that respect. These hearings don't usually take long, the judge will have read everything and he may only have a couple of questions for you. Hopefully you won't go first, that way you can see how it works. Just don't wear that outfit Nascar posted.

For once, I will offer no advice. I showed up for Court one time with the jacket of one suit and the pants of another. I had no clue till I got back to the office and several “friends” pointed it out. Saw the judge a few weeks later at a social event. She came right over with a big smile on her face and asked me how long it took before I figured it out. She still smiles every time she sees me.

FOR MEN: A nice pair of slacks and a dress shirt or golf shirt would be appropriate. A sports coat or suit may be worn but certainly is not required. Shoes and socks should be worn as “flip flops” are prohibited. Likewise, it may be ninety degrees (90°) in August and hot/humid, but shorts are not permitted to be worn in the Courtroom. Other prohibited articles of clothing include tank tops, tee shirts, shirts reflecting foul or vulgar language or politically incorrect language, and hats.

FOR WOMEN: A dress, skirt and top, or slacks and a nice top would be appropriate. As in the paragraph above, it would not be appropriate to appear in Court in shorts, a halter top, or a skimpy tank top, or flip flops.

Example from “real life”– Several years ago, I attended a final divorce hearing in Greene County, Ohio. The day was hot and sultry. My client, the Husband, appeared in golfing attire wearing shorts. We were given two options: (1) reschedule the final hearing to a later date; or (2) have Husband obtain a pair of slacks. Husband elected to go to the local K-Mart and select a pair of slacks. He returned to the Court in slacks with the price tags being apparent. I asked him if the tags should be removed before we entered the Courtroom. He responded that he did not want to remove the tags as he planned to return the slacks to K-Mart following the divorce hearing!

The proper and/or appropriate attire for either party changes dramatically if the parties are facing a “contested” divorce and/or custody hearing, wherein each would be on the witness stand for protracted periods of time and, wherein, their appearances would certainly be scrutinized by the Court.

FOR MEN: Same as above; however, a sports coat or suit could be worn but would not be considered mandatory. If the Husband/Father is seeking custody of his child or children, he would want to be dressed conservatively…nothing too flashy, nothing too out-of-the ordinary. For example, if a young Husband is seeking custody of his child/children, he could receive “negative” points if he appeared in Court in non-traditional attire such as Black Gothic Style clothing or wildly colored hair. Remember, that most Judges are older conservative individuals. If the Husband/Father has an abundance of tattoos, I would definitely suggest that he consider wearing a long-sleeved shirt to “cover” the tattoos! Also, it would be advisable for the client to remove evidence of body piercings….ears, lips, nose, eyebrows, etc.

FOR WOMEN: The main point to remember……..you do not want to appear in Court as Sharon Stone appeared in “Basic Instinct”! This is not the time to appear to be “hot” or “sexy” especially if you are seeking custody of your child or children. You want to appear stable, sensible, warm and loving. Soft colors are better than bright and vibrant colors. Longer skirt lengths are better than short skirt lengths! You do not want to wear anything that would be considered “too short, too skimpy, too wild, too bold, or too sexy”.

I advise my clients to dress appropriately for Court. Dress as you would for church or an important job interview. If you are in the armed services, wearing your military attire is a very safe choice. If you look sloppy or inappropriate, the Judge or Magistrate may believe that you are showing or displaying a lack of respect for the Court. You have but one opportunity to create that “first impression”! So, consider these “do’s and don’ts” in advance of your Court date and make a good impression with the Judge.