Credit Bargaining

csawyer83

I am trying to settle a debt for my wife with Tmobile. I was told initially that the termination fees would be waive because we moved to an area where the service was poor and not available. We attempted to cancel and continued to get billed the monthly fee and the termination fee. After weeks of arguing with middle management we were able to get the termination fees removed which left us with a $680 bill of which I was willing to pay $380. The $380 was equal to two months of service which I thought even paying that much was generous. At this time the had referred it to AMSHER which is a collection company in Alabama. I told them we are disputing the balance and they referred it to Cloud and Tidwell which is a law firm that works with AMSHER. They also reported it to my wires credit report. I called AMSHER today and told them that I would pay the $380 if it was removed from her credit. I was told by the representative that I was "credit bargaining" and that it was against the law. I didn't want to keep arguing so I ending the call. Is there such a thing as credit bargaining and is it illegal? I feel that the balance was not correct and should not have been on her credit to begin with. Please, anyone with knowledge or experience with AMSHER I need help. Thanks, Chris.

That's a new one to me...and as far as I know, it is not illegal.

I know that the bureaus discourage the pay for deletes, and I think it violates a contractual clause that data furnishers have with them.

I'd send something in writing to T-Mobile. The CAs don't really want to help you.

It is definitely legal to ask for a credit report entry to be removed, at least in cases where there was some kind of error, and had the error not happened, the credit report entry would never have been placed. This is just "setting the record straight". Even then, some businesses won't settle for a delete (probably because they just don't understand this "setting the record straight" concept).

It is definitely legal to ask for a credit report entry to be removed, at least in cases where there was some kind of error, and had the error not happened, the credit report entry would never have been placed. This is just "setting the record straight". Even then, some businesses won't settle for a delete (probably because they just don't understand this "setting the record straight" concept).

Not necessarily. According to my attorney, here's why. First off, realize that all they (the JDB) are doing to no longer report it on your credit report is unchecking a box on an electronic file. Second off, realize that the vast majority of the time, the JDB does not have the paperwork to legally prove ownership of the debt in the first place. Technically, if they couldn't win a lawsuit against you, then they don't have any business reporting it on your credit report.

I was in the same bind with you a few years a go.

I moved to ATT because Tmobile did not have any service at my new address.

They told me they would waive the early canc. fees but did not.

I refused to pay them anymore, and since then it was sold off to a CA.

Just sent a DV to them, and they deleted it off of my report.

It took about 3 years!