LJ Ross & Associates sent me a collections letter

bmc100

At the beginning of January, LJ Ross sent me a collections letter on a medical debt that was not mine, but was my wife's. The initial letter never mentioned my wife's name, just that I owed money to a hospital over an unpaid medical bill.

I sent them a DV letter and today in the mail, they sent me a response. It said:

Dear Mr. XXXXX

The remaining balance for my wife is $1,386.13

Our office hours are....etc.

They enclosed a bill from the hospital...well the hospital had me on the bill as a guarantor...I never signed a form with the hospital stating that I would be responsible for her medical bills..She just used the health insurance through my employer that was in my name...

Given that the first letter was misleading....Would this be a FDCPA violation?

I am waiting to hear back from my attorney..but what are your thoughts?

The initial letter never mentioned my wife's name, just that I owed money to a hospital over an unpaid medical bill.

I guess it all comes down to, in your state, if you are on the hook for her bills simply by marriage. If you are, then the letter, in my opinion, would not be misleading. You would owe money on an unpaid hospital bill.

My wife has had other medical debt where there has been collection letters for CAs and my name has never come up.

In Michigan, the person receiving treatment is responsible for any expenses incurred or expenses not covered by Medical Insurance. This same hospital, my wife has been there for the same treatment, using the same insurance and this is the first time my name has ever been involved.

My wife has had other medical debt where there has been collection letters for CAs and my name has never come up.

In Michigan, the person receiving treatment is responsible for any expenses incurred or expenses not covered by Medical Insurance. This same hospital, my wife has been there for the same treatment, using the same insurance and this is the first time my name has ever been involved.

I had a thought.... did your wife sign consent for you to be a "contact" person or a person that her information can be shared with? They might have "accidentally" taken that information off the form misreading that you were the person who might also be liable for the bill.

I noticed that a lot of the medical forms now ask "is there anyone else responsible for this bill?" In other words, "is there anyone else we can go after if you don't pay up?"

With it being your insurance through your place of work that might be the thinking in sending you the bill, what are your thoughts about just sending them a letter or calling (and recording) and asking why they sent the bill to your attention adn see what kind of response you get? Once you know what they are relying on to bill you it would be easier to check it out and see if their actions hold up.

also why not shoot your consumer attorney an email and ask,

I understand, but that does not mean they were not allowed to, it just means it has never come up before. I have no idea about the law in Michigan for this. It just sounds like if it is your insurance and you're married then you might be on the hook, legally.

I can't find anything that explains Michigan law as pertains to this issue. Perhaps it is covered in the state statutes, no Google cases come up. All you get is divorce and probate. Nothing that pertains to marital responsibilty for debt for live people. I would assume that under general common law, a spouse is responsible for food, clothing, shelter, and medical care for all members of the family. Taking your wife to the hospital and dumping her off at the emergency room and then booking is frowned upon as evasion of responsibility. Then you get into the law area that defines spousal responsibility for debt, community property states, etc. Who signed her in? What insurances apply? Nascar will know this. I bet he isn't wearing that pink suit, though. This seems to be a general principle of common law which would not be state specific. I'm still trying to figure out chemtrails. Look that one up. Ask Rep. Dennis Kucinich. Don't breathe what you see them spray. Never heard of it? Of course not. The media won't touch this one.