888-243-0973 Scam collection call? Said they were trying to serve legal papers

nobk4me

I received a strange voicemail on my cell phone. This is a number that I have acquired fairly recently, and that I have never given to any creditor.

The message was for first name, somewhat similar to mine, last name, spelled out, not at all similar. Since I'm not sure who they are looking for, I will call them Whoever.

The caller was a woman supposedly calling from a legal office, claiming that they have been trying to reach Whoever at their residence but can't, to serve legal papers. She said if they can't serve Whoever at home they will serve Whoever at their place of employment.

The woman gave her name (which I do not want to reveal here, for personal security purposes). The legal office was not named.

She gave a case number, just a six digit number, and said to call 888-243-0973 if Whoever had any questions.

She closed the message saying "consider yourself served."

Oh really, by phone?

I googled the number given, and found a recent comment from someone on mrnumber giving a very similar script. So I am guessing it's a scam.

I at first thought it might be a shady CA calling the former owner of my cell phone number.

I won't call the number back.

But it is rather creepy to get a message like this, when I do have debt issues, with the first name similar to mine. I had to listen to the message several times to understand what the caller was saying, as she talked fast, with sort of a snotty attitude.

Anyone else get a message like this?

I've had those, but they speak broken English and told me that they wished me luck if I did not call them back. I called them back and for about a min we called each other pretty much every name in the book. It was pretty uneventful.

Sounded like one step up from the Nigerian scam were you send somebody 3K so they can send you 100 million hidden in a trunk.

I figured out after listening to the message and how full of garbage they were when I called them back, if anybody falls for that then there is just not a lot you can do for such person.

I'd be more than willing to bet it's a scam. A legitimate law firm would know the service process in your state and would know that you can't be served over the phone.

I've received calls like that before. Almost every one of them have been out of California for an old debt that has been resold over and over again. None of the companies who have called about the debt are licensed in California. Needless to say, I can't get an address. However, I have contacted the SC Dept. of Consumer Affairs and given them the phone numbers.

If you ever get another call like that, and if the debt is outside the SOL, either tell them to eat dirt, OR have some fun with them. :twisted:

For any who do receive calls similar to this, which include alleged "Case" numbers, do not delete message, note this number, and look at account number or reference number on all written communications you have received from any CA/JDB/ATTY. You will most often find the number given on phone is identical to the number on the letters. This is a violation in itself, and actionable. Go to your nearest Radio Shack and buy their small recorders, then, transfer the message to the recorder. Next, sit down and copy word for word the message. Then compose the letter to the collector demanding they cease and desist, or else. By this, if they do not agree to close account, delete all negative info reported, and guarantee they will not sell, transfer, or reassign, to anyone, you will have to name them in a civil claim in a court of proper jurisdiction. Even ask them for $1000, just to P*** them off.

If you have no letters that match the number, call your county courthouse and ask if they have a claim with that number, or, any number. Most times the number will not compare with their sequence. "Once done, sit down and compose the letter, but, now use the verbiage that upon calling your county, you found their number claimed does not match your county's own system.

Edited by retmar

I did some checking - it is our old friend ACS.

"Consider yourself served?" As the Least Sophisticated Consumer of FDCPA fame I would interpret that as meaning the lawsuit has already been started and I had better hightail it to Court to see what it's all about. Getting to Court and seeing no lawsuit with my name on it, I have just been lied to. That my friends is a FDCPA violation.

ACS, Consider yourself sued.

Coltfan, thank's for catching that. It was supposed to be $1000. I found other typo's, so fixed it. I don't send a filed complaint, just include the verbiage of "you may . . . . , including, but, not limited to . . . ". Every time they will deny payment, but, to me, I still won, as, if I did file and went to court, I have proof I tried to resolve amicably so as to not tie up the courts. Credibility, anyone????

Flyingifr, I like your definition better, short and to the point.

Perssonally; I never worry about somoene calling saying they are trying to serve me or going to serve me or use similar phrases...if you get served, take it seriously...threats are usually nothing more than that 99% of the time...they may not be a "scam"; more likely just another tactic from a CA that refuses to follow the law (and likely a violation as well).

Years ago I got a call from a VERY foreign sounding gentlemenn saying that if I didn't pay him immediately (a debt which, assuming it existed at all, absolutely wan't mine in the first place) he was going to the court house that afternoon. It was a Sunday morning.

I offered to meet him at the court house and then I started laughing and almost couldn't stop even after he hung up on me. :)

Sometimes you just have to take time to enjoy the little things.

What I suspect it is, is a phishing scam.

If their mark calls the number, they will get someone demanding that they give all their personal info (full name, address, DOB, SSN, employment, banking info, etc.) "to assure they have the correct person" or "to correct their records" or some other lame reason. Then the crooks have everything they need for identity theft.

Oh yes, I thought of suing them. That's why I googled the number, to see if it is associated with a company or street address. It isn't, that I can find.

I just called that number and it sounds like a scam. Here's what happened and you draw your own conclusion:

I called the 888-243-0973 number and a gentlemen whose voice indicated African-American heritage answered. He asked my name and I gave him my real name. I asked the name of the company. He gave me:

ACS Litigation Services

Then I asked the street address, which he refused to give but did concede he is in Buffalo NY.

I asked his name, he gave "Conner Shaw". I asked him his position there, he stated he is the attorney. I could hear many people in the background indicating a probably boiler room operation. Mr. Shaw, Esq apparently was such a good attorney he didn't even rate his own office.

After several minutes he admitted he could not find a case for me but offered to take my "information" so I could make a payment, even though he admitted he had no case to apply the payment to.

Draw your own conclusions.

Actually I know of these people (and I use the term loosly).

They aren't a "scam", at least not how I define the word, but they are a really bottom-of-the-barrel CA. I don't believe have ever heard of the FDCPA or any other law for that matter.

I think these people try to collect debts that even some of the worst CA's/JDBs won't bother with.

I had a call from a collector I later determined to be working for ACS. He called me at home at 6:30 am, asking to speak to my roommate. When I said he was at work, the caller told me he was calling from the L.A. County Clerk's Office, and that a bench warrant was about to be issued for my roommate, because he didn't show up for jury duty that morning. He asked me for roommate's SS#, DL#, and a bunch of other info.

Even though I'd been woken from a sound sleep, I knew this wasn't right, but I was too groggy to figure out why at that moment, so I played along. I acted all flustered and said I'd place an emergency to page to roomie, and call them back with the requested info, so the idiot actually gave me a number to call back.

After splashing some cold water on my face, I thought it all over. Jurors are not required to show up until 9 am here. Also, having run election polling places for many years, I know that all calls from the County Clerk's office show up on Caller ID as such. When I called back, the switchboard answered with some generic-sounding company name. When she transferred me to the idiot who'd called me, he answered his line, "County Clerk's Office."

After getting roomie to check through his correspondence and identifying the phone number, I wrote a report of the whole incident, sent it to an acquaintance at the REAL County Clerk's office, the City Attorney, State Attorney, the FTC, and BBB. I also sent a copy with the CC: list highlighted to ACS. Never did hear from them again. 8]

I got a call just like this except...get THIS...it was made to my best friend's voicemail. My guess is that I used her as a reference on something and they called her pretending like they thought they were really calling me. She stated that she was a server and I had two hours to contact the attorney's office and I would be charged with failure to appear if I didn't.

I called the number listed and it is ACS. The person I spoke with would not give me her name and finally gave me a mailing addres is Buffalo, NY.

So they not only did not identify themselves as a debt collector, but also contacted a third party with private information about me.

I got a call just like this except...get THIS...it was made to my best friend's voicemail. My guess is that I used her as a reference on something and they called her pretending like they thought they were really calling me. She stated that she was a server and I had two hours to contact the attorney's office and I would be charged with failure to appear if I didn't.

I called the number listed and it is ACS. The person I spoke with would not give me her name and finally gave me a mailing addres is Buffalo, NY.

So they not only did not identify themselves as a debt collector, but also contacted a third party with private information about me.

Well...it's ACS...what I know about them would lead me to believe that they not just routinely but purposely violate. In other words, I'm not surprised.

I guess they figure that the risk of being sued for violations is outweighed by the $$$ they get by scaring people into paying.