So, I get this letter back,

Stating:

Regarding your demand for verification including the original signed contract and licensing, our agreements with the original creditor listed on this account. etc., there is no basis in law to substantiate your right to such information. In fact, court cases and Federal Trade Commison have found there is no duty to comply with such excessive verification demands.

Also, we provide you a 30 day window which to dispute the validity of this debt , which we did in june of 2011.

Can they refuse to provide the information? If they are assigned the debt, and they do oot own it, can they still report without verification?

Is there case law to dispute thier claims?

Crash5050

Stating:

Regarding your demand for verification including the original signed contract and licensing, our agreements with the original creditor listed on this account. etc., there is no basis in law to substantiate your right to such information.

100% correct.

In fact, court cases and Federal Trade Commison have found there is no duty to comply with such excessive verification demands.

100% correct.

Also, we provide you a 30 day window which to dispute the validity of this debt , which we did in june of 2011.

June 2011 was the time to demand verification. After 30 days they don't have to provide you verification.

Can they refuse to provide the information?

Yes, they have the law and well settled case law on their side. You have letters from the internet with no legal authority on your side. They win this one.

can they still report without verification?

Yes, if verification was not requested within 30 days of initial contact.

Is there case law to dispute thier claims?

No (on this subject)

Sometimes there is state law that will offer some other protections or give you other rights to force their hand. However, I'm also in Arkansas and have used the courts in Arkansas for FDCPA cases, so I can tell you that we have none. Arkansas uses the exact wording of the FDCPA for their collection statutes. In fact, our state law basically states, see the FDCPA, state law will mirror the FDCPA.

Edited by Coltfan1972

They may be correct about everything, but dang, they outta have a bit of compassion. I paid the dang bill, I moved and it was a gas bill, AOG turned it over to collections after 30 days, I didn't get a bill until the collection agency sent me one. it would have been a win win. I found this site AFTER I paid the bill, I should have negotiated.

David